Flatlander

Moosings - Idaho - 2019

I keep getting pics from my buddy who is a game warden. Apparently not many locals have the tag this year so some of his friends keep sending him pics to share with me. It’s getting hard to focus at work with these coming in.

Some more Teton River bulls from last year.

138E364A-9B7A-4207-A9D5-1361F11DC3B2.jpeg.2fa5012022316d0b683dc7740a996a19.jpeg

A bull he checked in from my unit last year.CD61B6B9-DA12-4B4D-9BA6-612C41D1E636.thumb.jpeg.829c6fef10d06024ef2be01299318feb.jpeg

He saw this bull the other day. Bonus points for being close to the road.

4C33CC87-A74A-4C33-886B-CEEFB320CA84.thumb.jpeg.7c6f803cfd1820353aa23b04b21764b6.jpeg

And this one came from one of his buddies while I was brushing my teeth. Now I have to clean the bathroom mirror.

C7DD3608-1F04-412F-AC97-45A71DC0E734.jpeg.eab201fd6c4a6207c538d9a4851d18f6.jpeg69F57ADC-998B-4E19-938D-87D4DFF9646D.jpeg.2cb92699db9766072a00c9aee439833b.jpeg

• Like 4

I also called the local archery shop yesterday. They reminded me that mechanical broadheads are not allowed in ID and I am glad they did because now I have to resight and tune (not to mention by a fixed blade bh). The kid I talked to has hunted the unit 5x with others, he said every shot has been under 100 yds so archery is very do-able. He also said that even with archery bulls tend to die fast, pack outs are brutal and that the width on those five bulls were all between 41-48”.

Six weeks out.

• Like 1

That bottom bull is a smoker!  Kinda weird layout so I don’t think he’d score much but most of the bulls I’ve seen come out of those units seem to have kinda funky paddles on them.  I’m guessing that’s mostly private land with all this ag fields?  

41 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

That bottom bull is a smoker!  Kinda weird layout so I don’t think he’d score much but most of the bulls I’ve seen come out of those units seem to have kinda funky paddles on them.  I’m guessing that’s mostly private land with all this ag fields?  

Lots of private ground but it’s mostly small farms with mixed in state lease ground. It will just be a matter of finding a bull in the right spot. The kid from the archery shop said that the farmers are pretty good about letting hunters in for moose. So far I haven’t had any luck with the ones I have called, could be my 480 area code.

I love the paddles on the bull he checked in last year. I think the bull he sent yesterday is old and obviously very big. I don’t care one bit about score, I don’t even know what book is on moose. I want big paddles and some of those dangly things under his chin.

6 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Lots of private ground but it’s mostly small farms with mixed in state lease ground. It will just be a matter of finding a bull in the right spot. The kid from the archery shop said that the farmers are pretty good about letting hunters in for moose. So far I haven’t had any luck with the ones I have called, could be my 480 area code.

I love the paddles on the bull he checked in last year. I think the bull he sent yesterday is old and obviously very big. I don’t care one bit about score, I don’t even know what book is on moose. I want big paddles and some of those dangly things under his chin.

Moose score is really the dumbest scoring system of all of them.  That bull that he checked in has awesome paddle width but actually would get killed on score because he doesn’t have a brow fork.  That would probably cost him 15-20”.  Otherwise that would be a Boone and Crockett bull.  The bull I shot had wonky paddles but giant fronts and was just plain bad a ss.  I didn’t care one bit.  

What broadhead have you decided on? 

On 8/17/2019 at 5:32 PM, Explorer said:

What broadhead have you decided on? 

I haven’t yet but I am leaning toward the Wac Em XL. Any body have good experiences with anything they have used on elk in the past?

4 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

I haven’t yet but I am leaning toward the Wac Em XL. Any body have good experiences with anything they have used on elk in the past?

175 nosler partition 🤭

• Like 1

I did a little e scouting this area just out of curiosity.  I have never been in that area of Idaho.  I must admit that I have never seen anything quite like that area.  It looks like some kind of moose paradise.  Very impressive and defies what I thought I knew about them.  Just Wow!

6 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Im in the same boat as far as finding a new broadhead. I was disgusted with how soft and fragile the muzzy 100s I was shooting are. Am trying out the magnus stingers for my bull hunt this year. Hopefully they are as good and lethal as the reviews are saying. They sure do tune and shoot very well so far. 

I am completely confident in my Magnus Snuffer SS broadheads.  I've killed two bulls with them.

20 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I did a little e scouting this area just out of curiosity.  I have never been in that area of Idaho.  I must admit that I have never seen anything quite like that area.  It looks like some kind of moose paradise.  Very impressive and defies what I thought I knew about them.  Just Wow!

That’s pretty typical country for eastern Idaho. Sort of like the Midwest butted up against the rocky’s. The unit composition is pretty unique, with town limits, ag land, some desert stuff and a few ridges that are pushing the tree line. I spent a lot of time there during my college years and am anxious to get back into those hills. Lots of good memories.

The NR draw odds aren’t terrible for this unit, so if you want to scout it go ahead and come on up. I’ll provide the pack frame.

• Like 1

T minus 6 days...

There is a stack of coolers in the man cave. Rifle has good feed and is confirmed out to 500 yds. Have 6 arrows with sharp FIXED blad wac’em broadheads. I have made a personal rule to keep things within 50 yds, especially on big bulls, be it moose or elk. I have arrangements with a taxidermist to clean my skull should I manage to run into one. Have a beef scapula boiling in the stock pot right now. Got a new spare for the trailer. Things are starting to come together.

As tends to happen, some folks who were hoping to come have had to change plans so it’s looking to be a mostly solo adventure.

I have been in touch with some locals who have kept their eyes open and can probably help at different times. Word is that the rut is hitting pretty hard right now. Hopefully it lasts a couple more weeks.

• Like 2

Oh, and I got this last week. There were never grizzlies there when I lived there but apparently they have been spotted in this unit the past few years. So there’s that ...

BC65F749-49F3-4D76-A4A5-B8D9A9D2B0D8.jpeg