Sign in to follow this  
BigD

Browning Glacer Extreme 6 Person Tent

Has anyone used this tent?  I am 75 years young and looking to replace an older 6 man tent.  It must be a 3+ session tent and withstand wind at times as high as 40-50 mph.  I need space for an extra large cot and a regular sized cot.  Also need to be able to set it up with my wife.  Any comments??

Thanks

Never had that tent but my hunting partner and I both have the below tent from Cabelas, 8 person tent. When buttoned down with the guyouts, this tent will hold big wind.  There are several youtube videos of this tent in high and wet winds.  This says its 8 person, but will sleep 2 just right.  Not bad to set up once you do it a few times.  It is a solid 3 season and can do a light snow.  This is among my favorites, Kodiak Canvas and a wall tent.  That basically rounds out the hunting tents we use.

Kodiak tent is a nice tent and isn't hard to setup, just a tad heavier than the Cableas.

Both Kodiak and Cabelas tent will hold wind well, just need to get them nailed down and guyouts in place.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-outfitters-camp/outfitter-tents/pc/104791680/c/104757480/sc/104481180/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-person-tent/1571266.uts?slotId=5

Kodiak vote here. It is heavy but can be set up with 1 person. Handled the elk hunt last year with plenty of snow, wind and sleet. Love it.

• Like 1

My brother has that tent and it is a good tent. I have the 10X14 Kodiak and my tent is much more spacious and I think the canvas helps retain heat better.

+1 on the Cabelas Alaskan guide.  I have the 6 man version and it fit 3 army cots back in the day when camping with my kids.  It does just fine with two man sized cots with space for a footlocker each and room to stand up and dress.  Mine is about 10 years old and has the aluminum poles which I recommend if you can still get.  They don't break. 

This tent has been through wind, snow and rain and doesn't flap at all.  Takes a while to set up, but I can do it by myself and it is easy with two.  Lots of poles prevent that old "flap, flap, flap, flap" of wall tents in a storm.  Never leaked, always dried before being put away.  Great investment for a good nights sleep in bad weather.

01fcc5c9e24cb1449e5523d3c6b187664f9f7766f4.jpg

Edited by Whitesheep
Added Pic

1 hour ago, Whitesheep said:

+1 on the Cabelas Alaskan guide.  I have the 6 man version and it fit 3 army cots back in the day when camping with my kids.  It does just fine with two man sized cots with space for a footlocker each and room to stand up and dress.  Mine is about 10 years old and has the aluminum poles which I recommend if you can still get.  They don't break. 

This tent has been through wind, snow and rain and doesn't flap at all.  Takes a while to set up, but I can do it by myself and it is easy with two.  Lots of poles prevent that old "flap, flap, flap, flap" of wall tents in a storm.  Never leaked, always dried before being put away.  Great investment for a good nights sleep in bad weather.

01fcc5c9e24cb1449e5523d3c6b187664f9f7766f4.jpg

Looks cramped for three cots. is it a 10x10?

Sorry prdatr - been away for awhile.  Three army cots work, not so with BIG man cots we all use now.  I was skinnier once honest when a 24" bed was OK.  Not so much now.

• Like 1

I have the 8 man and I think we put 3 30" cots in there.  Put clothes and gear under cots.  We usually sleep 2 in the 8 man.