Sign in to follow this  
AZAV8ER

270 win barrel life

Has anyone here ever shot out a 270? If so how many rounds did it last? By shot out I mean from near MOA/sub MOA to over 1.4 MOA.

6 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

Has anyone here ever shot out a 270? If so how many rounds did it last? By shot out I mean from near MOA/sub MOA to over 1.4 MOA.

AZAV8ER, what you are describing is a barrel just getting broken in!  My 1980 .270 Win. has about 2k rounds through it, most of them hot hunting loads.  It still shoots good - with some loads the groups open a little, but it is a fairly consistent 1 1/2" rifle.  (I have a spare barrel, but don't see any urgent need to install it).  OTOH, I have shot out 2 - 25-06 barrels.  The last one, installed by Sam May, Apex Rifle Co. Flagstaff, only got to about 750 rds.  The barrel that's on it now, a Douglas stainless, is showing some erosion in the throat, and is not as accurate as it once was, but still ok for most hunting.  I have heard the .243 is hard on barrels.

forepaw

on a 270 never heard that before. on a .243 never heard that one either. I have a a few .243s with well over 2-3k fired through them. one of them still shoots one hole groups old ruger varmit m77r. the others just sit in the safe.

only barrles I ever shot out were a .300 win mag in 40xb ( I bought it used) put maybe 1500-2000 rounds in it. the other was my 22-250 easily 5k through each barrel was on its 3rd barrel when I traded it.

I dont run hot loads through any of them just a tad below max. all my rifles are p-dog guns and we used to shoot the crap out of them in the 80's and 90's.

my guess is you got some copper fowling in that firearm. when I got the .243 mentioned above it wouldnt shoot under 1.750" buddy suggest I soak the barrel with sweets and brush the crap out of it and repeat a few times. like I said shot and shoots 1 hole groups since then. one of the most accurate guns I have. with the exception of my .223 bdl varmint

10 minutes ago, Delw said:

on a 270 never heard that before. on a .243 never heard that one either. I have a a few .243s with well over 2-3k fired through them. one of them still shoots one hole groups old ruger varmit m77r. the others just sit in the safe.

only barrles I ever shot out were a .300 win mag in 40xb ( I bought it used) put maybe 1500-2000 rounds in it. the other was my 22-250 easily 5k through each barrel was on its 3rd barrel when I traded it.

I dont run hot loads through any of them just a tad below max. all my rifles are p-dog guns and we used to shoot the crap out of them in the 80's and 90's.

my guess is you got some copper fowling in that firearm. when I got the .243 mentioned above it wouldnt shoot under 1.750" buddy suggest I soak the barrel with sweets and brush the crap out of it and repeat a few times. like I said shot and shoots 1 hole groups since then. one of the most accurate guns I have. with the exception of my .223 bdl varmint

I am not experiencing  a problem just wanting to set parameters. For some shot out is going from .3 MOA to over .7 MOA.

Could be a ton of things. just doubt the barrel.

usually the shooter, the load I am assuming you reload. if not more than likely your cause. could be a scope loose or just a junk scope, loose action in the stock., the rest your shooting off of etc etc theres a host of things it could be.

you should probably be more specifc, like what type of rifle, how old, what type of ammo

He is simply asking if any has ever shot out a .270 barrel.  If you have, how many shots did it take to lose 1MOA of accuracy.  I do not think he has shot his out, just trying to gauge when he might expect to start seeing signs of a shot out barrel.

• Like 1

I've got one that has enough rounds down the barrel that I'm surprised that it still shoots. I don't keep a round count anymore, so I don't know exactly how many rounds that has been put down it. By some including the US Army, it's not the rounds down the barrel, it's how much powder that been burned in it. In my experience if you chase the lands, and when you have to make adjustments of 30 thousands or more at a time, your barrel isn't going to last that long. 

To me it sounds like you need to clean the barrel and check your load.   Normally a barrel being shot out you will start to get rounds that leave the group for no reason.   I would guess that it would take 3K rounds to kill a .270 as a hunting rifle.   Most of the time when barrels get shot out it is because of the excess heat from shooting strings of shots in a row.   If you are just doing normal hunting/sighting in it would take a TON of rounds to kill the barrel.   I would check everything else out first.    Grab a bore scope or take it to a gun smith.   They will tell you what it looks like at that time.