Sign in to follow this  
FLG Dreamin’

Hawaii fishing charter

Hi all, I have been lurking for much to long. There is a wealth of shared information here and hope to provide some some additional help when I can. I am planning a trip to Kona, HI in 2020 for some deep sea fishing. So far my research has me thinking of the Bite Me Sport Fishing charter or Night Runner Sport Fishing. Any advice on either of these or someone else? As I have never been on a private charter before, how is tipping handled? 20% if the provide a good time and work hard? Does that get split between captain and mate? Or is it 20% each? Does the tip go to captain and he splits it with mate? Just trying to not make a fool out of myself. Thank you, if you can help a new member out.

Tipping is usually reserved for the deckhands/mates. At least 20% of the trip coast is about average for tipping. Just remember fishing is fishing and not "catching" so never base your decision to tip on whether or not you catch anything. Those guys work their tails off and depend heavily on the tips. Enjoy your trip either way!

as a general rule HI boats/skippers keep the catch.  that might figure in or not.

i have heard for 40 years that airline passes/gift certificates are a fav of HI hands.

lee