Sign in to follow this  
Tac

Tikka ctr

I have a tikka ctr that has shot lights out from day one. It now is starting to loose its accuracy with my current bullets I,m not sure what I would find if I tried something else. The jump has moved about .067 from erosion and the rounds to reach this would take it out of magazine length. Should I rebarrel?

What caliber and how many rounds fired to get this degradation?

What is considered "lights out"?   What size groups is the gun shooting now?   Do you have a known speed from when the gun was shooting good?   Barrels typically like a certain speed and if you leave that speed range then the accuracy can decrease.   A .067" change in the jump is absolutely huge depending on the bullet.    What bullet do you shoot?  What powder to you shoot?   If you are shooting a powder that changes with the temperature then in the summer you could be gaining quite a bit of velocity and that will affect accuracy.   Do you have the ability to look in the chamber and barrel?   Do you have a bunch of copper in the barrel or carbon ring in the chamber?   I looked in my .243 the other day and the grooves were almost full of copper.   I might not have cleaned the barrel in a really, really long time.....but it shoots great.   I did spend some time sending a patch down the tube to decrease the copper in my barrel.        

My tikka just kills it.  

caliber is 6.5 CM, I estimate about 1000 rounds down the tube shooting berger 140 vld  hunting with 44..2 grains of superformance powder. The speed hasnt fallen off yet 2599 was average across chrono previously was 2625.  I have shot this over the last two years same powder in all temps has shot very well. It has always grouped around 3/4 to 1 inch at 200. now it is 3-4 inch at 200 and happend basically overnight. I clean the barrel regularly after 100-150 rounds. I tried copper eliminator and two patches had slight bluing but very minor. 

Well it isn't the amount of shots.   6.5CM isn't a barrel burner.   If you were to shoot a barrel burner you could get more shots than that down the tube and if it did start to give up some accuracy it wouldn't be that much and it wouldn't be all of a sudden.   I would check a couple things.   Rings, Scope, tighten your stock.   Something changed and it probably isn't your load or barrel.   It is probably your stock or scope/mounting that has changed. 

You could always chase the lands and add powder as needed to get the speed to your original speed.   Then you would know for sure that the load and speed aren't the issue.    

I’m just now putting a new tube on one of my first creedmoors. About 2300 rounds down it. Twice I did a complete seating depth test because of throat erosion. Standard deviation still at 8 FPS and it was a hammer but I got bored. I would suggest either a complete seating depth test or switching to a hybrid that isn’t so depth sensitive. 

Ive about given up on 140 hvld due to seating depth sensitivity. At 1000 rounds a rebarrel wouldn’t even be considered in my camp. Good luck and keep us posted.

The rebarreling is your option. If you can live with the accuracy it has now keep it, if you can't rebarrel it. 1000 rounds seems kinda early, but a friend of mine had one go at about 700 and that wasn't a factory barrel. One thing you might want to do is shoot it at 400 yards or more. A spent barrel will still group fairly decent at 200-300, but will be lucky to hit paper at 400.