Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Pathfinder, 4Runner, Cherokee, or etc

Looking at a 4 wheel drive hunting, fishing, out in the hills rig that does well off-roading but is somewhat easy to repair and reliable.  Like a Pathfinder, 4Runner, Cherokee, or etc, 90s model, nothing new or newer. What do you guys prefer? Experiences?? 

I second the Toyota for reliability.  You will pay more but not have to worry about being stranded out in the boonies.

I have owned several hunting rigs over the last 15 years. I even built an all custom samurai that would go anywhere, but I had to tow or trailer it. I finally tried a Suzuki Grand Vitara years ago and it was an awesome hunting rig. I drove it to where I hunted and used it the entire time and drove home. Several years ago I moved up to a Suzuki XL7 and put a 2 inch lift and some mud tires on it. Built a custom rack on top that can hold two adults for glassing the flats and winch mounts front and back. It is a total sleeper and goes just about anywhere I want to hunt with ac and heat. I even got the one with leather heated seats. It has a 185 hp v6 and hauls all my gear. It has never broke down or left me stranded and they are a lot cheaper than the others. David

E2046548-833E-482C-839E-914AEF11E574.jpeg

• Like 3

David is on the right track. I was gonna mention the samurai, grand vitara, the x-90, etc. those are awesome machines. But it wasn’t on you list lol. I still still stick by my original post though.

I have a lifted 4x4 expedition I'm planning on selling. It was good for me, used it to tow the trailer to camp then use it to hunt. It has been on some pretty gnarly side by side trails.

I'm not wanting something as big as an expedition. The samurais are too small. I am 6'4 and got a wife and 3 kids to tote around at times. I'm not stuck on any one brand but just listed the 3 I did as they seemed the most common and roughly the size I am wanting. The XL7 is a interesting idea. Not wanting something new or anything fancy or expensive(sold my side by side for part of that reason) just a good running, hunting/ out in the hills rig.  

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:40 PM, azhuntnut said:

I have owned several hunting rigs over the last 15 years. I even built an all custom samurai that would go anywhere, but I had to tow or trailer it. I finally tried a Suzuki Grand Vitara years ago and it was an awesome hunting rig. I drove it to where I hunted and used it the entire time and drove home. Several years ago I moved up to a Suzuki XL7 and put a 2 inch lift and some mud tires on it. Built a custom rack on top that can hold two adults for glassing the flats and winch mounts front and back. It is a total sleeper and goes just about anywhere I want to hunt with ac and heat. I even got the one with leather heated seats. It has a 185 hp v6 and hauls all my gear. It has never broke down or left me stranded and they are a lot cheaper than the others. David

E2046548-833E-482C-839E-914AEF11E574.jpeg

I've been looking at these and they definetly seem cheaper. What size tires did you go with after the lift?? Its hard for them to be seen as a off road vehicle in the "soccer mom unmodified version" but someone else has told me the same things you said about them.

If you are planning to trailer it to your location the Samurai, Sidekick, XL7, or Cherokee are all decent options, if you are going to drive this rig down the freeway I think the 4Runner is the best option.

• Like 1