Flatlander

Hunter’s Big Chance 2019

I have debated about what to say about this as I know some have mixed feelings about these highly sought after tags being donated. But after thinking about it I hope that if we are able to share the story that more people might enjoy the experience this increasing the good that has come The selfless decision someone made to donate the tag.

A little background. In April of last year my son Hunter (9 at the time) was diagnosed with Charcot-Marie-Toothe. CMT is a degenerative neuro-muscular condition that causes muscle atrophy and reduced sensitivity in the extremities. As a result of this condition Hunter also had hip dysplasia in both legs which led to two separate reconstructive surgeries last year.

He turned 10 in August and we squeezed in a youth Kaibab hunt as well as a cow elk hunt (from a donated tag) between surgeries. I was proud of his effort as he did whatever he had to and filled his deer tag and stuck with it through three cold days for his elk hunt but that tag went unfilled. He goes to PT twice every week and probably will do PT//OT until he is skeletally mature. We are blessed that his lifespan is not impacted and for now he can walk and ride a bike likE his friends, other than limited strength and the unknown of when and how fast the degeneration of his nerves will occur.

Well a couple week’s ago Eddie Corona from OE4A called and asked if Hunter would be interested in an antelope hunt. This has been an aspiration of his for several years since accompanying me on scouting trips for my antelope hunt in 2014. So the next day, after going to PT, and the dr and getting x Rays we met Eddie Corona and picked up the tag. It’s been his top choice every year since so of course we were in. Then to find out it was Unit 10 tag, well, we were over the moon. I hope to share this experience with as many as possible and want to make sure that those involved know how much this means to a kid who has not had an easy past 12 months. Thanks to Eddie and everyone who helps OE4A in anyway and also to Darren Couturier who donated the tag. We can hardly wait to share the journey with everyone.

C7F46B9B-0D5A-4098-AFB7-AEDFD1C80BF0.thumb.jpeg.d708d5f07bee9f2a64aff0a45c43c022.jpeg325F0142-8826-46BF-9217-F479E7BDE026.thumb.jpeg.9787face17192fcabe723a6258f0880f.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Love 4

Go get 'em, guys!

• Like 1

Hunter, I sure hope you get a beautiful buck!  This is gonna be a great time!

• Like 1

Good deal.  I'm curious how these donated tags are allocated?  Is there a pool of qualified kids and vets and they call based on your name on the list?  Does the tag donor have a say in who gets the tag?  Is it the organization such as the OE4A who makes the decision?

Great news, congratulations to Hunter!

Congrats to your son!  I hope you both have an Amazing experience together!!!!  Take a LOT of pictures!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 654321 said:

Good deal.  I'm curious how these donated tags are allocated?  Is there a pool of qualified kids and vets and they call based on your name on the list?  Does the tag donor have a say in who gets the tag?  Is it the organization such as the OE4A who makes the decision?

Yeah, this is why I was hesitant about posting. Lots of people question the system and start getting sour grapes when an 11 year old kid gets a world class tag.

The tag is donated by the hunter to a qualifying charity. The charity has a list of qualified individuals who have submitted paperwork from a doctor who confirms that they meet the requirements. In Hunter’s case he has a permanent disability but children with life threatening conditions also qualify. Veterans have different requirements around combat injuries of certain severity. But I can tell you that the kids we have met at OE4A events are sick. At the OE4A banquet they have pictures in their slideshow of the kids who have passed away since their hunts. The wounded vets organizations sometimes have a hard time finding vets who meet the requirements but are still capable of the physicality of the hunt.

The organization appoints the tag to a qualified recipient at their discretion. Last year Hunter received a late rifle cow hunt. This year the organization knew that he was better suited for walking and was really excited about antelope hunting. When Eddy called about the tag he said the donating hunter said he would like it to go to a kid if possible because it was a father and son who both donated their tags. The other tag went to a 17 year old boy.

Hopefully that answers questions and people will continue to support these organizations. I know last year when we were driving home from Hunter’s elk hunt, he asked me if we could hunt again the next weekend. I reminded him that we were going back to CA for his next surgery that week. His response “Oh yeah, that is coming up.”

We didn’t kill an elk on that hunt but for a few days he forgot all about surgery and the half body cast he would spend Christmas in, and the PT after that. He didn’t have to go watch his little brother play on the football team that he couldn’t be on. He just went hunting with his Dad. I can’t tell you how much that meant to that little dude and especially his Dad. So I am grateful for everybody who provides a tag or volunteers or spends 200+ nights a year helping or scouting or guiding these hunter’s. It means a lot.

• Like 10
  • Love 1