TyThur111386

AZ Coues hunters headed to Colorados GMU 74

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

We had six inches of snow on the last day, late October. We were camped at 10,000'.

We called that a "dusting." 😎

Where my resort was at Vallecito Lake at a bit over 8500 ft., we averaged more than 400 inches annually. By the time March arrived, the snow along the road around the lake was about 12'-14' high. The amazing part is during the three years we lived there the kids never once had a "snow day" because the plows were working as soon as the snow started sticking. The only day they ever missed happened when a huge ponderosa fell clear across the road. But even at that.only the kids that lived past that spot like ours missed. 

• Like 1

Here's one outfit out of Durango that offers packing services. They weren't around when I was there, so I can't comment on how good or bad they might be.

https://www.splitforkoutfitting.com/

And another:

http://buckslivery.com/packTrips.html

And another. This one charges $300 for guide/wrangler and $200 per day for each horse. 

http://overthehilloutfitters.com/general-information-about/rates-dates/

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time there when I was young.  My Grandparents had a place sort of near Lemon Lake.  They sold it one day out of the blue.  Our family was very upset about it.  We would have bought it from them.  I can't comment on the hunting there since we never did any of that and were always there in the summer time.  

There was a store called Hellen's Store along the way we would always go to for candy.  It had an old Coors beer sign outside it.  Someone sent me a picture of the place about a year ago and it looks like a completely different place from when I was young, except for that Coors sign.  I'm glad whoever owns it kept it there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

I spent a lot of time there when I was young.  My Grandparents had a place sort of near Lemon Lake.  They sold it one day out of the blue.  Our family was very upset about it.  We would have bought it from them.  I can't comment on the hunting there since we never did any of that and were always there in the summer time.  

There was a store called Hellen's Store along the way we would always go to for candy.  It had an old Coors beer sign outside it.  Someone sent me a picture of the place about a year ago and it looks like a completely different place from when I was young, except for that Coors sign.  I'm glad whoever owns it kept it there.

Remember it well. In fact, I wish I could get $10 for every time I drove by that intersection over all the years we visited or lived at Vallecito. 

As for hunting, the very first time I hunted in Colorado was within two miles of Lemon Lake. In 1966, five of us from AZ did a DIY and rented horses from a guy by the name of J.W. Tubbs that lived right where the road over Vallecito Lake Dam leaves the main road. We rode up the Red Creek Trail to the top of the mountain and set up our camp. If we rode about a mile to the east from there, we could look down into the valley and see Lemon Lake. 

Here's the latest "Helen's."

https://pinerivertimes.com/articles/22563

2 hours ago, TyThur111386 said:

Yeah thats crazy that type of weather can come out of nowhere. 

Can and does at that elevation so be prepared. The two of us rode about 12 miles a day up to 11,500. Saw at least two yotes every day.

I was just up in the area about 20 miles to the west last week. All the cows were gathered up ready to drop calves. We saw literally hundreds. Feed looked great. 

Should  be a good year, good luck. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TyThur111386 said:

Yeah thats crazy that type of weather can come out of nowhere. 

And something else...

We had hunters fly in the day before going into camp and they were pretty much wasted for the first few days. You NEED to get up there at least two days before you start trekking around or the altitude will get to you. You'll be hunting at about 9,000-11,000 feet. So even if you just stay in Durango, which is about 6,500 feet, you'll get somewhat acclimated. Even after that, you'll need to progress slowly at the higher elevations. 

• Like 1

The weather can change very fast up there. I was scouting my unit at about 8,000/10,000 feet as the sun rose there was hardly a cloud in the sky and it stayed that way until about 12 pm. I was 8 miles from the trail head, earlier that day I cut the trail and bumped into a couple wearing shorts, tees and hiking shoes, the only thing they were carrying were water bottles. By 2 pm it started to snow hard the visibility was to low to glass any more so I figured I would call it a day and head back to the truck/camp as I dropped off the ridge down to the trail head where I bumped into that couple again and they were freezing, we spoke briefly and I followed close behind them just to make sure they made it back to their car. I thought I was going to have to give them my bivy sack a few times. I never leave the truck/camp without enough gear to at least spend a comfy night out in any kind of weather. Good luck on your hunt!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Remember it well. In fact, I wish I could get $10 for every time I drove by that intersection over all the years we visited or lived at Vallecito. 

As for hunting, the very first time I hunted in Colorado was within two miles of Lemon Lake. In 1966, five of us from AZ did a DIY and rented horses from a guy by the name of J.W. Tubbs that lived right where the road over Vallecito Lake Dam leaves the main road. We rode up the Red Creek Trail to the top of the mountain and set up our camp. If we rode about a mile to the east from there, we could look down into the valley and see Lemon Lake. 

Here's the latest "Helen's."

https://pinerivertimes.com/articles/22563

I'm headed up for 2 weeks in July. My grandfather lives just north of Vallecito. I love it up there. Been messing around in there for 25 years. He has lived there for the last 12 and been vacationing there since the 60s.

• Like 1

Funny, I drew the exact same tag. I also have a September muzzleloader bull tag in there as well. I anticipate it will be busy on both hunts... Rokslide and MonsterMuleys seems to have more information related to 74. Plus most people are pretty reserved on information related to any easy draw units in Colorado. I honestly don’t blame them 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 6:26 AM, AZkiller said:

I'm headed up for 2 weeks in July. My grandfather lives just north of Vallecito. I love it up there. Been messing around in there for 25 years. He has lived there for the last 12 and been vacationing there since the 60s.

We did like your granddad. I bet we might have crossed paths at least once.

After my first trip, I took the whole family up there for a week every summer. We eventually bought Silver Spruce (located right across from the entrance road to Vallecito Valley -- Don Wheat's development) and moved in during a snowstorm in Jan. 1976. Three years later, the present owner (now called Bear Paw) made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

When we sold it, we had a family vote on whether to stay there, head back to Phx or go somewhere else in Colo. My wife and I voted to buy a house and stay there. Our three kids voted for Phx again, where they had loads of friends and could play outdoor sports all year. So that's what we did, moving out in Jan. 1979 during another snowstorm. Been back here ever since but have made many visits back there for various reasons, and especially to fish for pike. 

• Like 1

Yeah regardless if i plan on sleeping on the mountain or not i will have my tent and bag with me. Together they are like four pounds, cheap insurance. That way Im able to change my mind if i get on something and need to sleep there to close the deal in the morning.

Well boys we got it done. Only regret was waiting to buy bear tag until i got there. I didn’t realize they had a cap on the tags. Glassed up a big cinnamon on morning two and a decent black on the second to last day. Anyway thanks for all the help and thought i would share some of our success pictures. 

1BD7154B-1629-4E69-A5FA-B826D01F4E74.jpeg

7FDE9FD6-5D2E-4019-8D20-A95095993727.jpeg

460F7D61-398D-4026-919D-7ADFD6EBEF3C.jpeg

B7C5E109-108C-422D-9685-A791106EAAB8.jpeg

CEAAC383-074A-4891-89A0-57415181F17C.jpeg

• Like 5