Sign in to follow this  
cb375hh

Flying with Alaska airlines? Checked rifle costs?

I'm going hunting in August for Stika Blacktail Deer on POW and I was wondering have any of you guys ever got an additional bulk charge for a rifle case when you checked it?? The website says anything over 63 total inches ( Length + width + height) they charge a bulk fee. Has anyone recently flown with Alaska Airlines?? 

Depends on the check-in agent. Sometimes they'll pull out a tape measure and charge $100 for it. Sometimes they don't give it a second thought.

• Like 1

Not on Alaska Airlines, but flew to Kansas on Delta and home on Southwest this spring with a double rifle Pelican type case (Cabelas brand). It is well over the linear inch max, but neither airlines seemed to care or charged extra. I think weight is of bigger concern to them. They were sticklers on the 50 pound limit for our suitcase. We had to do some major repacking of our big suitcase (it had a whole frozen turkey in it) at baggage check-in because they wanted $75 for being 5 pounds over 50.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabela-s-Armor-Xtreme-Tactical-Rifle-Takedown-Shotgun-Case/1318396.uts

I flew Alaska in May and size wasn't an issue,just the number of bags and weight.