Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Elk unit breakdown

Been studying elk units. Never drew a bull tag so I'm considering my options. Please list what you would  consider 1st tier, second tier and third tier units and what class of animal you would see on AVERAGE (not potential monsters, just what you would see as the norm) for the early and late hunts. I don't care about ginormous bulls if I have to wait 10 years to hunt one. As I understand it 1st tier would be 1, 10, 9, and 23 (27 too but not anymore since the big fire?).  Where it gets foggy for me is separating 2nd and third tier units. I think I'd be happy to kill a mature 6x6 regardless of unit with 300" as my worst case scneario. I think id be just fine in the 320 to 330 range.  

You can kill a bull like that in any unit in AZ.  Pick one you can get to easily and scout, draw it and go hunting.  

• Like 2

Killing a 300” bull on a lot of the late hunts is a pretty good achievement. Even on the archery hunts, averaging 300” bulls is a pretty tall task. My guess is that even in those “top tier” units the average bull taken is less than 300”.

I would say the next rank of units 6A, 5A, 4A, 5B, 8, 3B and 7W are all good quantity units with fewer really big bulls over 350”.

After that I would put units like 6b, 19a, 7e which have lower qty and are not known for large bulls either.

However yotebuster is right. You can kill a 300” bull anywhere in AZ. I think previously you mentioned moving to Payson. If that’s still your intent pick a unit close to there and start putting in sometime. You can figure that out and have a successful hunt in relatively short order.

Good luck.

Are you interested in September hunts only?  I have been drawn for the late archery unit 1 tag two out of the last three years, seeing over 200 bulls in 2017. 

I guess it depends on what your tiers represent... if it’s based on pure trophy quality, unit 1 is no longer in the top tier. 2015 was the last really good year in there. What I can tell you is if you want to chase 300-330 bulls around unit 1 is the best in the state for those expectations in both numbers of 300-330 bulls and how they rut. 

Like said above, an honest 300" bull should not be a "worst case scenario". I'd like to see the average score of bulls killed in every unit. i would guess that unit 23 (mostly due to low tag numbers and tough draw odds) is probably the only unit that MIGHT have a 300"+ average. for every 350+ bull picture you see, there are probably 100 bulls killed under 300". Every unit in arizona has 320-330 bulls, some just have more. Most early archery hunts in the state will give an archer an opportunity at that type of bull if you are willing to hunt the whole season. You will also most likely be waiting far longer than 10 years to hunt in a top tier unit, a lot of the second tier units probably take 8-10 years to get into the bonus pass. Archery elk hunting is an absolute blast. It is always cool to kill a good bull but the experience is in the hunt. The bull below probably doesn't break 300" even without the broken 4th point. 

IMG_1847.thumb.JPG.0dec45bb4f4357bdcff9a3a94ed4be0f.JPG

• Like 3

A 300 inch bull is a big bull, no doubt about it.  I would echo the above and say that 300 inches is a bit big for a worst case scenario.  What about the bull below?  My dad's bull he shot in Colorado back in 2008.  Would you be happy with him?

Vqqhb1m.jpg

He tapes out at 273 gross and I would shoot him before the last day on most AZ hunts, but that's just me.  If you want a bull bigger then I'm not going to disagree with you but I do think that most people truly would be happy with a bull quite a bit smaller than an honest 300 inches.

most people will never kill a true 330 in their life, i agree with the above post. I have a tag this year and am gonna try for a nice bull. if the cards don't fall in my favor then that's how it will play out but I am going to enjoy every second I'm out there

• Like 2

Yeah, looking at the pics above Id be happy with a 300" bull.  I would love for one of you guys to start a elk practice scoring thread where you show a pic or two of a bull and then post the score underneath the picture . I've been thinking about starting such a whitetail thread myself.  Curious what pope and young minimum is for Elk?

Google is a great tool, I'm pretty sure 260 for typical and 300 or 310  non typical. 

260 and 300

Edited by WHT_MTNMAN
Google

I love hunting elk.  I have spent almost my whole life reading about it, and the last 15-20 years living the dream.  From what I have read, people I have talked to, and what I have seen, here are some general guidelines that seem to hold true....a 300 inch bull is big, a trophy.....350 inches is a monster, you are lucky to get one or 2 in your lifetime.......and a 400 inch bull is truly once in a lifetime, that most people will never even see, let alone kill.  We are blessed(spoiled) here in AZ that we have big bulls to chase.  Most places don't.  As mentioned, the P&Y minimum is 260.  Mike Eastman does tons of research so I am sure his numbers are correct.  He says that only 1% of all hunters will ever shoot something that makes the record book.  That is a relatively small group.  Keep that in mind, and be overjoyed if you kill a 300 inch bull with your bow.  A true accomplishment.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, azelkhunter69 said:

I love hunting elk.  I have spent almost my whole life reading about it, and the last 15-20 years living the dream.  From what I have read, people I have talked to, and what I have seen, here are some general guidelines that seem to hold true....a 300 inch bull is big, a trophy.....350 inches is a monster, you are lucky to get one or 2 in your lifetime.......and a 400 inch bull is truly once in a lifetime, that most people will never even see, let alone kill.  We are blessed(spoiled) here in AZ that we have big bulls to chase.  Most places don't.  As mentioned, the P&Y minimum is 260.  Mike Eastman does tons of research so I am sure his numbers are correct.  He says that only 1% of all hunters will ever shoot something that makes the record book.  That is a relatively small group.  Keep that in mind, and be overjoyed if you kill a 300 inch bull with your bow.  A true accomplishment.  Good luck.

Agreed, I really knew nothing about elk scoring and what unit standards are. I started listening to the Jay Scott podcasts to try and enlighten myself. I was thinking about reaching out to you about your hunt last year.  The catalyst that got my mind going was a friend I helped on a coues hunt is running cameras for deer in unit 8 and was willing to share info and maybe even come help me if a drew the tag. From there I started looking at units I can actually and 8 is  in the runnings. 

Any proportional 6x6 (even some big 5x5 exist) or bigger is worth shooting on most late hunts. Early hunts barely gets you into the 300 class anymore for most hunters. 

Have helped on numerous top tier hunts and honestly they get over rated and are popular based on how they were years ago. If guys gave the same effort in lower tier units some bigger bulls would drop. 

My last 4 bull tags all in mid and low tier units 245", 286", 348", and 369" after breakage on late hunts.

IMHO places like unit 9, 10, 23, 27 we kill the top 10% off every year and in places like 6A, 6B, 7W, 8, 19A, 21 they almost never touch the top 10% bulls. It is all based on what people expect and not reality.