Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

WTB: 4Runner, Cherokee, or something similar

Looking to buy a offroad hunting vehicle. Like the title says. Any older 90s 4x4 SUV type . No garage queens that cost a mint. Looking at something that runs good, has ac/heat and isn't a project. I don't expect perfect but clean title is a must. Let me know!! 

I have 2 97 XJ's ill get you pictures what's your budget?

I will be soon listing my lifted 99 expedition. 5.4 v8.  Having interior professionally cleaned Monday, just installed new headlight and taillight assemblies, has chrome grill guard and brushguard and a new engine about 20k miles ago. It started as the family vehicle then became my rig when we upgraded the family ride. It's a pretty nice truck and it has taken me places only a side by side should go.   It's also been christened with a decent amount of javelina, elk and deer blood!

• Like 1

Patience and cash in hand plus a little luck. Stay away from 3.0 in older 4runners. 3.4 3rd gen are good.

Xj Cherokee are amazing. You get what you pay for. One that has been built and beat to $hit...or a street queen that hasn't but spendy. Or a stocker that is overpriced that you will spend a mint customizing.

Good luck

It seems most 4Runners are 3.0. I assume most who have the 3.4 are holding. My budget(2k)is revolving right now, lol. Sold my side by side but didn’t get as much as I hoped so I’m getting funds up to give me some options. 

Go with the XJ if you’re into getting into rough areas. I asked around a lot before getting my hunting rig, and the XJ came out on top. Take care of cooling the motor and tranny and they are bulletproof and don’t break the bank if repairs are needed. Simple solid axle design 4x4.

i found a 99 that had been an ASU vehicle (fleet maintained, never beat on), put on a 3” lift and 30” tires). Wasn’t interested in going down the rabbit hole of lifts/gearing/driveshaft mods etc.

My XJ has been used three years for predator and coues hunting (and a backup daily driver to my Harley) and often finds itself where only side by sides can go. It won’t crawl big rocks, but it’s small size and short wheelbase make it amazingly capable in the field.

• Like 1

A $2000 4runner that isn’t a huge project is going to be nearly impossible to find.  You can’t beat Toyota reliability.  I’ve found that the early first gen sequoias get down around the 2500-3500 range and they make great hunting rigs.  I ran a Mitsubishi montero around for a year or so hunting and it was an awesome little vehicle.....bought it off CWT for $1200.

When my wife sold her Rubicon three years ago I paid $3000 for a 1998 4Runner. It has 360k on it, no a/c and a bit of an oil pressure issue. 😀 Put some Craigslist BFGs on it and it has been a solid hunting rig and weekend errand runner since.

You may have to get a little creative at your price point. My first two rigs were Troopers, solid hunters and a lot cheaper than similar condition Toyotas. 

Good luck!