bojangles

10mm for grizzly bear defense

What are your thoughts on the 10mm for grizzly defense?  It seems a lot of people are leaning this direction, as hard hitting bear loads are now available, and the idea of 15-16 rounds seems appealing.  

Glock has a nice offering, and the XDM is now available in 10mm, and carries 15 plus 1.  

I would have no problem carrying my 10 mm with 220 hard casts. The Glock 22 Glock 40 and the XD are all good ways to go.

• Like 1

Glock Fanboy here and like the 10. If you visit the Alaska Outdoors website you'll find the 10mm is widely accepted. With that said a 4" Super Redhawk in 45 Colt or 454 Casull would be my GTG.

When it comes time to throwdown you'll be in the minority if you get off more than two or  three shots. Plenty accounts of people using 9mm and walking away too. If you're that deep into bear country less weight is appreciated , cross draw chest holster like the Diamond D or an Uncle Mikes is what I would use. Walking on muskeg drains you and going is slow.

Having spent time in some pretty remote parts of the 49th state I can personally tell you that bears can be expected when you least expect them. 95% of the time they leave you alone and you see them when they are on their way outta Dodge. "If" I was going to buy a sidearm for protection it wouldn't be a 10mm unless I was recoil shy. Heavy bullets break bones and slow or stop the charge. I would not want to put my well being in a semi auto, even as reliable as a Glock is. If you have the coin I would also look at Bowen's offerings. Just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Glock Fanboy here and like the 10. If you visit the Alaska Outdoors website you'll find the 10mm is widely accepted. With that said a 4" Super Redhawk in 45 Colt or 454 Casull would be my GTG.

When it comes time to throwdown you'll be in the minority if you get off more than two or  three shots. Plenty accounts of people using 9mm and walking away too. If you're that deep into bear country less weight is appreciated , cross draw chest holster like the Diamond D or an Uncle Mikes is what I would use. Walking on muskeg drains you and going is slow.

Having spent time in some pretty remote parts of the 50th state I can personally tell you that bears can be expected when you least expect them. 95% of the time they leave you alone and you see them when they are on their way outta Dodge. "If" I was going to buy a sidearm for protection it wouldn't be a 10mm unless I was recoil shy. Heavy bullets break bones and slow or stop the charge. I would not want to put my well being in a semi auto, even as reliable as a Glock is. If you have the coin I would also look at Bowen's offerings. Just my personal opinion.

I’m worried about target acquisition with a revolver, and double action accuracy.  They say even  a 44 mag won’t stop a grizzly attack unless it’s in the spine or brain.  

There’s a case where a guy was killed  by a grizzly lately and it appeared he didn’t have a round in the pipe of his glock.  That’s why I’m leaning xdm, you have the chamber indicator.

a 12 gauge with slugs is also recommended, but can be cumbersome while fishing or dressing wild game.

nothings perfect, I guess.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Are you going fishing up north and just looking for one for peace of mind?

Just thinking ahead.  Would like to fish and hunt up there in about 5 years.

• Like 1

I would bet the empty chamber mentioned above has nothing to do with the firearm, but a personal philosophy of the person.

• Like 1

Here’s the conclusion I came to when I went to Alaska. 1)most likely nothing smaller then a 12ga shooting a good slug will stop a determined grizzly consistently.2) I’m not going to carry a long gun around on a regular basis 3)ANY handgun is going to be marginal at best. Look up the numbers, even a .50 handgun ranks surprisingly low energy wise compared to even smaller rifle calibers 4)a 10mm with a good bullet has just as much energy as a .41 mag 5)I can get 3-4 aimed shots off for every 1 with my red hawk .44 mag. Thats 3-4x chance to hit something to change the bears mind. Minus a miracle shot, chances are the bears not gonna drop. You gotta turn it.6) glock is much much easier and more comfortable to carry at all times then big revolver. 7)16 rounds vs 6. 😎 bear spray really is your best defense, until it’s not. Wind in face, 2nd encounter etc. I carried bear spray and glock 20 with 220 gr hard cast underwoods

• Like 2

Also, we have a friend that’s a guide in Alaska. Few years back he killed a grizzly with his 10mm. It wasn’t charging but it was getting way too close and kept coming. Smaller bear, about 4-500 lbs.He also told me a story about someone in his family dropping a charging 9 foot grizzly with his colt 1911 shooting soft lead ball ammo. If it really comes down to it, I think you’re gonna have to get real lucky, or convince it to turn

Whatever handgun and caliber you shoot best. If you can't put one in the brain or spine quickly, your not going to stop a serious charge regardless of what cartridge you use. A lesser shot with a hand cannon or a rifle may kill the bear but after he has mauled you for a minute or two. If a crappy shot or bear spray stops them or turns them, they were bluffing to start with. 

Below is an excerpt from "Outdoor Life's Guide to Spring Bear Hunting," which I wrote some time back in the 1990's. The outfitter was Roy Pattison from British Columbia. He died from natural causes a while back. 

"Earlier our binoculars had located two dark spots in a swath of emerald green grass more than a mile distant. Although the sighting prompted Pattison to assemble his spotting scope, I surmised he already knew what he was seeing after having chased Canada's bears for over 20 years. 

Once, however, it was the other way around. 

On a fall hunt a few years ago, a lady from Germany put a bullet through the hump of a big grizzly. Armed with a 30/06, Pattison, along with his German shepherd, Radar, followed the bear into the bush. The dog soon found the wounded grizzly, and Pattison put three 220-grain bullets into it. 

Still, the enraged animal managed to launch an attack, tearing a huge chunk of flesh from Pattison's left buttock and biting his ankle. The dog's persistent harassment and Pattison's kicking and screaming while hanging upside down with his ankle in the bear's mouth eventually caused the bear to let go and flee. 

While Pattison spent a week in a Prince George hospital receiving numerous skin grafts and treatment of a chipped ankle bone, his brother and friends unsuccessfully searched for the bear. 

The following spring the lady from Germany returned and wounded another grizzly. This time, with a new-found respect, Pattison borrowed his brother's .458. Radar again located the bear, and two shots from the big-bore rifle put it down for keeps.

When Pattison removed the hide, he found four healed gunshot wounds and recovered two 220-grain, 30/06 slugs; it was the same grizzly that had mauled him the previous fall. 

The 10-foot tall, life-size mount sitting in the main lodge now serves as a grim reminder of the guide's close encounter."

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

You can watch a hundred hunting shows about bears and see a close encounter or two. All the bears I have seen shot were caught offguard and most went less than 30 yards before expiring. Some less than 20'. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Five years is a long ways away so you have plenty of time to decide on what firearm to take.

• Like 1

Cool topic here.  I am heading to Alaska this year and was planning on taking my 4" 44 mag.  I am thinking a Glock 29SF or 20SF is in my near future.  I have always wanted a 10mm anyway.  

• Like 1