bojangles

10mm for grizzly bear defense

17 hours ago, bojangles said:

So I shot the xdm, 10 mm.

Its really snappy, even with the mild target ammo.  I got a couple boxes of hsm bear load, but want to try the penetrators also.  I haven’t tried the bear load yet. 

The trigger is terrible, and will need work.  I’ll need a lot of practice, as I think it will be difficult to be stalwart with an angry bear charging.  

The 15 round mag is certainly comforting.  

I honestly think a slug gun would be more comforting, but it is a cumbersome thing to lug around.

I had the Glock but it now resides with my son. I could bring it up to Payson one of these days and you could shoot it.

• Like 1

So, I talked to a biologist up in MT the other day.   I asked him about bringing a handgun and he suggested it would be a great too.   His thought is you might as well shoot yourself to put yourself out of misery because it isn't going to kill the bear.   He said that out of all the bear attacks his partner has investigated he has never seen a person carry a gun and actually hit the grizzly.    He did say that bear spray has worked a bunch of times and highly suggested that instead of a handgun (or any gun for that matter)   This biologist isn't an anti hunter either.    He is well known and really likes hunting but thinks bear spray throws a bigger pattern and seems to irritate the bear better than a gun.   

Personally.   I'll be bringing a gun.   Hopefully I won't need it,,,,,but if I do I'm hoping I can actually keep my crap together and hit the bear instead of killing rocks.  

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, recurveman said:

So, I talked to a biologist up in MT the other day.   I asked him about bringing a handgun and he suggested it would be a great too.   His thought is you might as well shoot yourself to put yourself out of misery because it isn't going to kill the bear.   He said that out of all the bear attacks his partner has investigated he has never seen a person carry a gun and actually hit the grizzly.    He did say that bear spray has worked a bunch of times and highly suggested that instead of a handgun (or any gun for that matter)   This biologist isn't an anti hunter either.    He is well known and really likes hunting but thinks bear spray throws a bigger pattern and seems to irritate the bear better than a gun.   

Personally.   I'll be bringing a gun.   Hopefully I won't need it,,,,,but if I do I'm hoping I can actually keep my crap together and hit the bear instead of killing rocks.  

Interesting.  

In all the reading and research I have done, and mind you I have no personal experience, it seems that the highest fatality rates are those that are armed with long guns. It seems if you miss on the first shot it’s over with. There’s a website out there that gives details on what fatality rates are per caliber of handgun. It’s an interesting read. The consensus is that bear spray works, except for when it doesn’t. Then it’s over with. I think the sum of all opinions was that a 12 gauge loaded with slugs would be the best defense. 

Semi autos get picky, if you are going to carry for bear defense you need to carry hard cast lead.  If you are going to carry a pistol with hard cast shoot plenty of loads through it before you go to be sure it cycles it reliably.  As far as 15 rounds go, if the first 2 dont stop him use number three on yourself you wont get many more shots than that anyways.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

I like how everyone that goes to Alaska thinks they are going to be in a firefight with bears every day. Lol. I’m going to Kodiak island in November 2020 and have not lost a second of sleep over what sidearm to pack. 

Did you get your hunt rescheduled?

12 minutes ago, GJMauro12 said:

Did you get your hunt rescheduled?

Nope, we ended up going. Had a good time

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 5:27 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

I like how everyone that goes to Alaska thinks they are going to be in a firefight with bears every day. Lol. I’m going to Kodiak island in November 2020 and have not lost a second of sleep over what sidearm to pack. 

I was in the exact boat two years ago. I've spent my whole life in the woods and was never worried about lions or bears or anything really But after seeing 9 kodiak bears in one day, being within 25 yards of a probably 8.5-9ft sow and cub with a semi bluff charge standing, staring me down  and with only my bow for protection and seeing them follow the blood/gut trail to within 20 yards of me last year even when I stood up and shouted with little to no concern. I have a new appreciation for being prepared on Kodiak.  I don't care about the caliber but I want something on me besides my bow for sure. If I was carrying a rifle I wouldn't care as much. 

my go to set up for AK is my Glock 19x (20 rounds) on a Kenai chest rig. If I'm being attacked for some stupid reason, 20 rounds makes me feel pretty good.   I got that after my first bear encounter 2 years ago. Thankfully didn't have to use it last year. 

Screenshot_20210414-151635_Photos.jpg.7e96a3421b85006491059d9026d0525f.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 3:34 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

Below is an excerpt from "Outdoor Life's Guide to Spring Bear Hunting," which I wrote some time back in the 1990's. The outfitter was Roy Pattison from British Columbia. He died from natural causes a while back. 

"Earlier our binoculars had located two dark spots in a swath of emerald green grass more than a mile distant. Although the sighting prompted Pattison to assemble his spotting scope, I surmised he already knew what he was seeing after having chased Canada's bears for over 20 years. 

Once, however, it was the other way around. 

On a fall hunt a few years ago, a lady from Germany put a bullet through the hump of a big grizzly. Armed with a 30/06, Pattison, along with his German shepherd, Radar, followed the bear into the bush. The dog soon found the wounded grizzly, and Pattison put three 220-grain bullets into it. 

Still, the enraged animal managed to launch an attack, tearing a huge chunk of flesh from Pattison's left buttock and biting his ankle. The dog's persistent harassment and Pattison's kicking and screaming while hanging upside down with his ankle in the bear's mouth eventually caused the bear to let go and flee. 

While Pattison spent a week in a Prince George hospital receiving numerous skin grafts and treatment of a chipped ankle bone, his brother and friends unsuccessfully searched for the bear. 

The following spring the lady from Germany returned and wounded another grizzly. This time, with a new-found respect, Pattison borrowed his brother's .458. Radar again located the bear, and two shots from the big-bore rifle put it down for keeps.

When Pattison removed the hide, he found four healed gunshot wounds and recovered two 220-grain, 30/06 slugs; it was the same grizzly that had mauled him the previous fall. 

The 10-foot tall, life-size mount sitting in the main lodge now serves as a grim reminder of the guide's close encounter."

True story, I knew Roy and he loved to show the chunk of missing butt

• Like 1

I just use my 9mm. I wouldn’t recommend bear spray because if their is a good wind storm your screwed. I’m WY resident and I do most of hunting outside Yellow Stone Park. Just use whatever your comfortable and familiar with. Saw 6-7 G bears in one day before. Keep your head on a swivel.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 3:17 PM, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I was in the exact boat two years ago. I've spent my whole life in the woods and was never worried about lions or bears or anything really But after seeing 9 kodiak bears in one day, being within 25 yards of a probably 8.5-9ft sow and cub with a semi bluff charge standing, staring me down  and with only my bow for protection and seeing them follow the blood/gut trail to within 20 yards of me last year even when I stood up and shouted with little to no concern. I have a new appreciation for being prepared on Kodiak.  I don't care about the caliber but I want something on me besides my bow for sure. If I was carrying a rifle I wouldn't care as much. 

my go to set up for AK is my Glock 19x (20 rounds) on a Kenai chest rig. If I'm being attacked for some stupid reason, 20 rounds makes me feel pretty good.   I got that after my first bear encounter 2 years ago. Thankfully didn't have to use it last year. 

Screenshot_20210414-151635_Photos.jpg.7e96a3421b85006491059d9026d0525f.jpg

There are no 9 foot sows FYI.

I live in Kodiak and i carry a Glock in 40 S&W. I did have a model 35 blow up in my hand last August on n grizzly hunt but i was shooting a caribou thank goodness. 

11 minutes ago, catclaw said:

There are no 9 foot sows FYI.

I live in Kodiak and i carry a Glock in 40 S&W. I did have a model 35 blow up in my hand last August on n grizzly hunt but i was shooting a caribou thank goodness. 

Any idea why it blew up?