Sign in to follow this  
n2horns

12v fridge / freezer in trucks, thoughts

So I have been watching overlanding videos on the net and many use 12 volt fridge and or freezer combos, like Dometic or Snowmaster.  No more buying ice, but now need to have power to the cooler.

I was thinking about setting one up for food use in the truck (backseat).  At camp, i would go to the truck instead if the cooler at my feet, but I eliminate the ice/water issue.

Has or does anyone use these types of fridges and any pros or cons?

I have the ARB 45 liter  now its the 50quart.  I like it.  It works well.  I used it to process my son's and his buddies Coues deer way back.  I boned them out and froze them one at a time in gallon ziplock bags,  then put the frozen deer in a Yeti for the drive out.  During the day I have it running off of a deep cycle battery, being charged by 2 solar panels.  

My biggest concern would be draining the truck battery. Cactusjack’s idea using a deep cycle battery and solar panels is a great way to address that. 

Larger possible option (I know...not what you asked) is a chest freezer...I’ve known several folks that use those. Bring to camp full of frozen water jugs and run off generator when in camp to help keep things frozen. One guy told me he could keep things frozen for 2 weeks doing that and was pulling out water jugs to use throughout the hunt. 

We bought a chest freezer at Walmart for $190.  Cheaper then most good coolers.  Run it with a 2000 watt Honda.  Then I don’t have to idle my truck all day.  It doesn’t do fridge but like they said you can freeze jugs and rotate them through your coolers.  Haven’t been on a camping hunt without it in the last 10 years.  

• Like 1

I looked at them a year ago, big name like ARB, i was reading the specs and it cooled internally to 25 degrees less than ambient temps. My though was I know my truck is over 180 in the summer, but I have no proof that if that was a true statement.