Sign in to follow this  
bojangles

Hornady ELD-X

My 300 win mag loves them!! My 6.5s hate them

I am going to try some 185gr Berger Classic hunters in my 300 weatherby. The 135gr 6.5 cals did great on 2 deer last season, so I am going to try and use the 185gr this cow elk season. 

I have a decent load worked up in my 300 win mag with 208gr ELD-M bullets. I have not put 1 in an animal yet though. 

For moose I would be looking at something a little tougher personally. Nosler Partition or other heavily constructed bullet.

10 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I am going to try some 185gr Berger Classic hunters in my 300 weatherby. The 135gr 6.5 cals did great on 2 deer last season, so I am going to try and use the 185gr this cow elk season. 

I have a decent load worked up in my 300 win mag with 208gr ELD-M bullets. I have not put 1 in an animal yet though. 

For moose I would be looking at something a little tougher personally. Nosler Partition or other heavily constructed bullet.

I put a 140 grain 6.5 ELD-M bullet through some CWT deer last year.    Probably had 6 impacts 2 different deer on deer.    I will not be shooting that bullet at game ever again.  We recovered one bullet and I had literally found of the copper jacket just below the skin on entrance and the lead was missing from the copper.   Loved the accuracy but the terminal performance was not what I like to see.   I'm switching to the 143 grain ELD-X bullet.   Shoots just as accurate but a little slower due to the much longer bearing surface.    I've seen much better results the the ELD-X bullets on game.    Proceed with caution.        

i shoot 13gn ELD-M out of my .264 win mag at about 3300fps. i've shot 3 different coues from 460 to 670 and all have been 1 shot DRT with big pass throughs on all of them. 

No matter what bullet, broadhead, or butt paper that works for lots of people, you'll find a few who have had less than ideal performance.

• Like 2

Simple physics.  A bullet that is capable of expansion beyond 600 yards is going to have extreme fragmentation at 150.  Led is led.  To be expansive at 600, the led used will be soft (most bullets use pure led or slightly hardened led) The jacket can be tapered to slow expansion, but then again, to provide decent terminal performance at long distance, you can not use much taper. 

Their trick, is simple.  By running heavy for caliber bullets, it increases the sectional density as well as the BC.  The higher sectional density allows a bullet to function at both short and long ranges.   Trick for the shooter is to know how their bullet performs terminally.  Soft bullets should be placed behind the shoulder.  Tougher bullets, like Barnes are ideal for shoulder shots.  

They use modern computer modeling to improve bullets ogive and boat tail to further improve BC.  Other than that, nothing new under the sun.  Good bullets though.  My 300 Win likes the 200 ELDX.  Aint shot nuthin with it so I have nothing to report 1st hand about it's terminal performance.

• Like 2