Not sure what you mean but I will post a pic. You mentioned walking 5 miles and not seeing anything. This is exactly the point of the tripod and a pair of 15 power binos,  the point is to let the binoculars do the walking not you! Do a search for some old threads about glassing, it well tell you where to look and why.   The ruger 6.5 is a great option, also consider the 7mm08 very similar but you can use up to a 168 grain bullet which would make it a elk and deer gun.  As far as getting drawn you probably wont this time around but who knows. 

Below is a pic of a tripod, you mount your 15s to them and glass off of the tripod. It keeps the glass super still which allows you to pick up slight movements of far away critters. Having a tripod to me is more important then having expensive glass, it is a must!

20190517_181916.thumb.jpg.faab337d7f201acede8ca3bf7f2d4df0.jpg

19 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Don't hold your breath kid. Look at last year's leftover list and be prepared to put in for one thus year.

Is Derek related to you?

ill check it out.  I don't know a Derek but i'm not sure, maybe.

11 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Not sure what you mean but I will post a pic. You mentioned walking 5 miles and not seeing anything. This is exactly the point of the tripod and a pair of 15 power binos,  the point is to let the binoculars do the walking not you! Do a search for some old threads about glassing, it well tell you where to look and why.   The ruger 6.5 is a great option, also consider the 7mm08 very similar but you can use up to a 168 grain bullet which would make it a elk and deer gun.  As far as getting drawn you probably wont this time around but who knows. 

Below is a pic of a tripod, you mount your 15s to them and glass off of the tripod. It keeps the glass super still which allows you to pick up slight movements of far away critters. Having a tripod to me is more important then having expensive glass, it is a must!

20190517_181916.thumb.jpg.faab337d7f201acede8ca3bf7f2d4df0.jpg

Ok, ill check them out.  I don't have high hopes for this year, but by next year hopefully i'll be a little more educated.  

+1 on Flatlander's excellent post. In addition -

I would add to specifically start with 10x binoculars. 12-15x are great and praised for good reason, but with as much $ as you are going to have to invest elsewhere, and size of deer not being an issue, 10x will serve all your needs in the forest and open country. Then you can invest in heavier, more expensive deer finders later. 15's tend to overlook the deer that are already in (or closer to) your shooting range. Practice out farther than you plan to shoot. My ethical shooting distance ends when my 3-shot groups exceed 4", YMMV. Also have an idea of what your 1st, cold bore shot does compared to warmer bore shots 2 and 3. Hopefully you just need the first one.

When you sit to glass with your tripod, sit within shooting distance of expected encounters whenever possible, have your firearm ready and always keep the wind in your favor for both scent and sound. I killed my first elk 30 seconds after snoring, downwind with my back to a tree and my rifle in my lap after hiking 6 miles that morning. A quick 20 minute nap often keeps me focused for the rest of the day. 

Finally, search this site for everything that comes to mind. With exception to new equipment, everything a beginner could hope to learn already lives in these forums. Here are some of my favorite threads -

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bradleylarson48 said:

I have been on google earth for a while.  I am probably going to pick up a map later.  

I recommend Game Planner Maps. 

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

I would add to specifically start with 10x binoculars. 12-15x are great and praised for good reason, but with as much $ as you are going to have to invest elsewhere, and size of deer not being an issue, 10x will serve all your needs in the forest and open country. Then you can invest in heavier, more expensive deer finders later. 15's tend to overlook the deer that are already in (or closer to) your shooting range. Practice out farther than you plan to shoot. My ethical shooting distance ends when my 3-shot groups exceed 4", YMMV. Also have an idea of what your 1st, cold bore shot does compared to warmer bore shots 2 and 3. Hopefully you just need the first one.

When you sit to glass with your tripod, sit within shooting distance of expected encounters whenever possible, have your firearm ready and always keep the wind in your favor for both scent and sound. I killed my first elk 30 seconds after snoring, downwind with my back to a tree and my rifle in my lap after hiking 6 miles that morning. A quick 20 minute nap often keeps me focused for the rest of the day. 

Finally, search this site for everything that comes to mind. With exception to new equipment, everything a beginner could hope to learn already lives in these forums. Here are some of my favorite threads -

thanks im reading them right now

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

when do i use a spotting scope vs binos. do i need to get both or just binos?

Spotting scope is more for when you want a specific caliber of buck, allows you to zoom in close to know exactly what you're shooting. For now though you see antlers you shoot it! Maybe offer to tag along as an extra glasser on some other hunts with members here. You will learn a lot and get some good experience.  

2 hours ago, bradleylarson48 said:

when do i use a spotting scope vs binos. do i need to get both or just binos?

90% of us just take binos into the field. A Spotting scope is for after you find deer that are far away so you can get a closer look. Most people are content with 10X and 15X binoculars as they have enough experience with bucks to know if it is a buck they want to shoot.

Not a dang thing wrong with walking five miles. We have all done it and most do it regularly and it will give you experience you can't get by looking through a pair of binoculars like finding tracks and bumping critters and learning how to find your way out and back. Don't believe everything you read you are on the right track.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

buck

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

90% of us just take binos into the field. A Spotting scope is for after you find deer that are far away so you can get a closer look. Most people are content with 10X and 15X binoculars as they have enough experience with bucks to know if it is a buck they want to shoot.

Not a dang thing wrong with walking five miles. We have all done it and most do it regularly and it will give you experience you can't get by looking through a pair of binoculars like finding tracks and bumping critters and learning how to find your way out and back. Don't believe everything you read you are on the right track.

Thanks, that will save me a lot of money. I’m just gonna buy some good binos and then I’ll see about a spotting scope. I’m kind of on a budget cause I’m 16 and there’s only so much money I can make over the summer so. 

• Like 1