Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Mt Rushmore

I left Az 3 weeks ago for my niece's wedding to be on June 29th in South Dakota. Been staying here in Grand Junction, co but heading north next week to Cheyenne then on to Nebraska State Park before arriving at a KOA near the entrance of Badlands National Park near Interior for the wedding. After the wedding the wife and I will be spending 7 days in a camp ground near Mt Rushmore over the 4th of July. Our first time there so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to see or do around the area of Mt Rushmore?

Been a while since I've posted on here but feels good to finally be back on cwt. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions in case I loose my access to the site. 

TJ 

• Like 1

I can tell you how to get from Rapid City to Pine Ridge in a blizzard...no idea why work sent me there in January and expected it to go well. Didn’t make it near Rushmore other than a distant view. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Hey, say "hi" to the guys on the mountain for me. 🤣

Will do Tony. 😉

TJ

2 hours ago, tjhunt2 said:

I left Az 3 weeks ago for my niece's wedding to be on June 29th in South Dakota. Been staying here in Grand Junction, co but heading north next week to Cheyenne then on to Nebraska State Park before arriving at a KOA near the entrance of Badlands National Park near Interior for the wedding. After the wedding the wife and I will be spending 7 days in a camp ground near Mt Rushmore over the 4th of July. Our first time there so was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to see or do around the area of Mt Rushmore?

Been a while since I've posted on here but feels good to finally be back on cwt. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions in case I loose my access to the site. 

TJ 

Jewels cave was cool to visit. I think it’s only 20-25 min. away.

• Like 1

Have been there many many times. My wife is from there.  Stopping at wall drug is a must, great hot roast beef sandwich. Pioneer auto Museum in Murdo. Crazyhorse monument is a must. Also the "Cosmos". Deadwood is fun and Keystone lake is beautiful. Driving through Custer state park is always on our list. Lots of wildlife and some of the prettiest country you will find. 

apple-touch.png

Buffalo-at-Custer-State-Park-Credit-South-Dakota-Tourism-(1).jpg

usa-south-dakota-murdo-pioneer-auto-show-antique-car-museum-DY69W3.jpg

cchmfwithapoint5inchbleed.jpg

download.jpg

• Like 1

Have been to Mt Rushmore a dozen times. It will bring a tear to your eyes, it does me every time. Pictures do not do it justice, it is awesome in person. Make sure you watch the movie in the auditorium also. The facts surrounding its creation are amazing. Also the story of the Crazyhorse construction. Sometimes if you hit it right you can witness some blasting going on there.

• Like 2

Oh, and take your binos !

• Like 1

Anything in the Black hills is worth doing. Deadwood, Hotspings, Wind Cave, just driving around you should see deer by the thousands, lots of elk, buffalo antelope turkey and lots of cool looking country!

• Like 1

Don’t have a clue about what to do up there but, want to say welcome back! We missed your posts and comments.

• Like 2

If you are in the area I'd recomend at the very least to stop and see Mt Rushmore 😉

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Looks like the wife and I are going to be busy thanks to y'all. If we can't get it all in our 7 day stay we'll just stay a little longer. Now I'm excited to get there. ☺️

TJ

• Like 2