Buddro

snow

I've looked around and cant find much on the topic.  what do high mountain coues tend to do when the snow starts to hit?  do they retreat to low country or hold out?  and if they do how much snow does it take to move them, are they gunna hit the low stuff as soon as it gets cold or stay high all year long If it never gets deep?

There are Coues in Unit 1 and 27 up high at 7-8,000'. They don't move at all when it snows. No where to go really, they don't migrate. Usually they'll be up later in the morning. 

Hunting in December and January one will encounter snow. 

• Like 1

Thanks thats actually the areas I am most curious about, Ive found a lot of coues up high and want to chase them in December.  I hope to be able to get in on cross country skis or snow shoes if they retreat to the low country it will kill half the fun.

Coues are browsers, not grazers. Most of what they eat grows above ground, not on the ground so snow doesn’t affect them as much. It takes a LOT of snow to push them out of their hole. 

+1 I've glassed up a lot of deer in heavy snow in mid November.  I was freezing my *** off, to put it lightly, all shivers, and they weren't bothered at all.

• Like 1

Deer dont migrate otherwise all of the Mexican Coues would be in AZ looking for free stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 6/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, Buddro said:

Thanks thats actually the areas I am most curious about, Ive found a lot of coues up high and want to chase them in December.  I hope to be able to get in on cross country skis or snow shoes if they retreat to the low country it will kill half the fun.

Unit 1 is no longer OTC all the deer tags are on a draw.