Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Gonna take a crack at pillars and bedding

I got some Devcon 10110 and I'm planning on doing my kids 2 savage rifles in boyds at one thumbhole stocks.  Based on videos I feel pretty comfortable with the actual bedding part. But I'm wondering about the pillars. Is it worth it to do the adjustable pillars for a noob? What do you guys like, aluminum or steel and what is your preferred method to cut them down to size? Any advice of something a first timer might overlook? 

I've had two pillar bedded. The first was a Remington 788 in .308. The second was a 700 BDL in 7mm Mag, with a kit that I won in a door prize from ScoreHigh Gunsmithing. Can't really say if they shot better with pillars as compared to a regular glass bed or not. Most pillars are made for a 700, I don't know how they would size up to a Savage action.

I've done two model 70s.  Got aluminum pillars from Ernie the gunsmith and cut them with a harbor freight mini chop saw that I use for cutting arrows.  Bore out the action screw holes, devon them in and your good to go.

Been reading that the pillars are somewhat negligible in a savage. Do you guys recomend do them first then bed the action? Some of what I've read says the tiny bit that the devcon shrinks really only leaves the pillars contacting the action in the end. Some recomend pillars but just shy of actual contact. What say the gurus? Honestly these are kids hunting rifles.  I'd be surprised if either sees more then 50 rounds through them every year.  

I use hornady one shot case lube for release agent. works good. I would recommend doing a small area first like the "chamber area" the Devcon will set up fast like 2 hours. take your time. remember you have to tighten down your action screws.