rpowell600

Need Help Purchasing "Primary" Hunting Rifle

Need help purchasing a solid primary rifle that I can keep for many hunting seasons. I currently have been using a Remington 700 in .308 sitting in a Magpul Hunter with a Vortex Viper thats right around 10 pounds if I remember right. And while I havent had issues with it, I want to purchase a left handed model and I have been hearing that Remington's QC has been going to shoot which is shying me away from a new one. I wouldn't mind losing a pound but I dont want too light as I like more mass to help steady at longer ranges. I will use the new rifle for big game from Javis to Elk. I want to stay with 308 or maybe venture into 6.5CM. Also not particularly a fan of laminate stock and well aware I may need to purchase a replacement stock on a factory rifle. Any information is much appreciated. Thanks!

The Remington long range is a nice gun, but limited to caliber other than your choice.  If you are looking for Creedmoor you can't beat the Ruger Go Wild or Predator models for the price and looks.  They are very accurate factory guns!  Keep in mind the Creedmoor is a medium range Elk gun at best.  My buddies have killed several at 4-500 yards, but 500 is max in my opinion.  The creedmoor is an excellent deer gun, but just an ok Elk gun!

• Like 1

What’s your price range? Some decent rifles are really cheap now a days but not sure on left hand options. I’m starting to look into lefties since I’m losing site in my right eye.

• Sad 1

I have a threaded stainless rem 700 long range hunter in 7mm rem mag for sale in the classifieds right now.  

• Like 1

Im comfortable with $1000 or less. Ive had the Ruger American and it felt extremely cheap. It shot for sure but I didnt like the tuperware feeling. Im looking into the Tikka T3X superlite (I know I said I didnt want too light lol) and with the scope It should be a decent balance with the soft recoil of the 6.5 vs 308 (recoil to weight ratio).

Left hand tikka. That is what I am looking at for my kids who need to shoot left. Theirs will be 6.5x55 most likely. 

270, 3006, 308, any of the 300 mags, 6.5 creed, 7-08, etc will all get it done on anything in AZ.

Just ordered the Tikka T3X Superlite in 6.5CM. I have been hearing nothing but good out of that rifle. Thanks for all of the comments! Now to sell one of my 700's to make room 😁

• Like 2

I have the Tikka T3X superlite in .308.   The .308 recoils really nice and has been super accurate for me.  I'm pushing reloads at 30-06 velocities and the gun shoots lights out and the recoil is pleasant for sure.   You will really like the gun.   It is more stable that you think for the weight.   The balance is really good.   

I made a few changes.   If you hand load you can change the short action bolt stop to a long action bolt stop.    Then you can long load the bullets in your 6.5 so you can get closer to the lands.   You will also need a 30-06 magazine instead of the one that comes with the gun.   I bought a 5 round mag instead of the regular mag.    I also bought a lighter trigger spring and will be changing that out this weekend.   Currently the gun is shooting 1/2 MOA and I'm super happy with that for a factory gun.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, muleybowhunter said:

i shoot a browning abolt in 270 win for deer and elk, dont count out the old 270.

Hey I am a big 270 fan, I have two REM 700 customs builds and two Winchester MOD 70 Classics's. When you compare 6.5C to the 270 WIN loaded Hornady ELD-X ammo the 6.5 at 500 yards has 2030 ft/lbs and 1300 fps the 270 2157 ft/lbs and 1497 fps. Yes the 270 has a slight edge but bottom line they are both essentially the same. So 6.5C near the same for lower recoil and very accurate factory ammo vs 270 running a little ahead and with the ability of using 150 grainers, so pretty close.

There’s a 28 nosler browning that just came up for sale.  Buy that.  You can kill anything in the country with it and it’ll shoot just as good as a CM.  

• Like 2