Gut Pile

If you had one brand choice for AZ camo set ( pants+ shirt) which would you pick?

Thinking of spending money on a real nice durable camo set like Sitka, kuiu etc. What do you recommended? I want something that lasts, with a pattern that would be decent for specifically Arizona big game seasons. I hunt all. Coues, elk, mulie, turkey. Archery and rifle. What single set would you pick? Thanks

Kuiu tiberon. Nothing else is as light and breathable. Price is better too. I would rather run all Marino wool but no one makes it light enough 

I just wish I could get first lite and kuiu to blend together. I like suspenders and zip off pants. That would be sexy, shorts with suspenders in camo. Haha it is AZ though and even in January it's hot hiking in anything

• Haha 1

Not sure camo makes all that much difference.  I will admit I have not jumped into "high end" camo pool because Kings camo has served me very well.  To the human eye, the stuff that blends in the most to the surroundings is larger pattern stuff with a good mixture of light and dark colors.  Leafy wear works really well too.

• Like 1

Been wearing Natural Gear forever.  The tans and browns blend in well here in Arizona. And it's easy on the wallet.  :)

21 hours ago, Gut Pile said:

Thinking of spending money on a real nice durable camo set like Sitka, kuiu etc. What do you recommended? I want something that lasts, with a pattern that would be decent for specifically Arizona big game seasons. I hunt all. Coues, elk, mulie, turkey. Archery and rifle. What single set would you pick? Thanks

The message quoted below is from a discussion on this site in 2008. It's as pertinent now as it was then.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Dan (guy in your last listed video) and Atsko have been in the forefront of all this research on deer vision since the late 1980s. Everything he said is right on the money. 

Because I was skeptical, I spent more than a year researching the subject and was present when they tested the vision of LIVE deer at the Univ. of Georgia's deer research facility. I also attended the Southeast Deer Symposium in Mississippi where two biologists presented their papers on the subject.

I penned the first and most definitive article about the subject for OUTDOOR LIFE magazine in the early 1990s. The article and supplemental charts, etc. covered about six pages. 

Although the original topic concerned deer, MOST non-human mammals are "blind" to blaze orange and nearly all shades of red into the infrared range of the color spectrum. That general statement takes in ungulates, canines and felines. 

In contrast, all of the above are highly adept at seeing in the lower range of the spectrum, i.e. blues to ultraviolet. This is what originally triggered the research and led to Atsko's products to eliminate UV absorption from clothing and other items. 

The only creatures you hunt that will see orange are the avian creatures, such as wild turkey, waterfowl and upland game. And they also are very attuned to the UV part of the spectrum. 

Anyone interested in reading the OL article, can send me a PM here with an email address. -TONY"

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The majority of camo patterns are designed to harvest hunters not game animals. 😉 The latest and greatest is usually nothing more but the same ol', same ol'. Patterns with greens and blacks that are normally small and close together might look peachy to a guy standing a few feet away, but it becomes a dark blob at a distance. 

As a result of the SCIENTIFIC research that was done, the best camo colors are light tans to browns/black because an ungulate's eyes react the least to any of them and MOST of the terrain appears as the same colors to them.  Likewise for blaze orange, which falls within the tan area of a game mammal's dichromatic (two color) vision. IOW, they see colors much like a human who is colorblind. 

Hunters in Africa, who rarely wear camo, have been killing game for centuries wearing solid tan, brown or olive pants and shirts. Likewise for hunters in those states with mandatory laws in regards to blaze orange such as Colorado and Wyoming. 

So if you wish to wear camo because it gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling, pick one with brownish colors and large patterns. IMHO, ASAT is about as close as you can get to the ideal. It ain't cheap, but it's well made and rugged. 

ASATcamo.jpg.a1a66a2bc337a4a4fdef2b0d07b73b31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kuiu is nice but Sitka seems to fit me better!  I used to use all the 20-60 dollars camo and they worked great.  But once you try the high end stuff man I can't go back.    Its like using high end glass.  You can't go back to your Vortexs ever again

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MULEPACKHUNTER said:

Kuiu tiberon. Nothing else is as light and breathable. Price is better too. I would rather run all Marino wool but no one makes it light enough 

That's a fairly decent pattern with good colors, as well.