maximus

Woodbury Fire

On 6/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, EagleEye said:

Is it true the contractors and firefighters get paid more if it lasts more than 30 days? Seams like one tanker drop would have put it out when it was only 100 acres. Now $60,000 every time that plane leaves the ground? When the fire was small can’t pull the trigger on the money?

Fire fighters cant be on for more than 14 days at a time.   But the longer it lasts the more everyone gets paid

On 6/24/2019 at 9:13 PM, EagleEye said:

Is it true the contractors and firefighters get paid more if it lasts more than 30 days? Seams like one tanker drop would have put it out when it was only 100 acres. Now $60,000 every time that plane leaves the ground? When the fire was small can’t pull the trigger on the money?

11 hours ago, ThomC said:

Wow rome is burning and some are arguing about how much and the rest are asleep.

I believe  what eagle eye is saying is why do they wait a while before the air tankers? not arguing the cost of it.

that being said the air tankers were on the I-17 fire last week with in 1-2 hours.

I think they could have put it out sooner, just watching and allowing a man made fire go for weeks isn’t exactly nature’s way. Cost is the cost.

still hope I get the deer tag there 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EagleEye said:

I think they could have put it out sooner, just watching and allowing a man made fire go for weeks isn’t exactly nature’s way. Cost is the cost.

still hope I get the deer tag there 

After the Yarnell Fire, they’re not going to send guys in willy nilly into a wilderness area chock-full of heavy fuels, box canyons and steep drainages, along with erratic winds, without assessing firefighter safety first. 

As others have mentioned, not calling planes sooner, I believe they were already committed to the Mountain fire burning near Bartlett lake. By that time, the Woodbury fire took off and was too late. Since there were no ground crews actively working the fire line in the Woodbury fire, they couldn’t use the planes since they work together. Just a perfect storm for that wilderness to go up in flames.

It'll come back. Gotta keep guys safe first. 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Ruler? Nope. Didn't have to use my fingers either. Just pointing out that the object used for a visualization comparison is 400+% off.  

Sometimes size matters. Sorry if you've been told your whole life that it doesn't.

They can make their circle bigger now. It is the 5th biggest now.

• Like 1

You can thank the hippies for all of the "wilderness rules"  that dont allow the evil gas motors.  Fire fighters dont have bicycles.  

Guest akaspecials
1 hour ago, ThomC said:

You can thank the hippies for all of the "wilderness rules"  that dont allow the evil gas motors.  Fire fighters dont have bicycles.  

Bicycles aren't allowed in the wilderness either.

I like the wilderness rules, it keeps the riff raff at the road. 

This sucks!