john phx

30/06 Winchester Model 70 Post 64

Up for sale is a Winchester Model 70 30/06 post-64 with Nikon  scope  pretty nice condition asking  $700 , OBO,might be interested  trades.

Thanks for looking 

C8A4570E-42E6-4C40-BBD3-63A19B5453C8.jpeg

799259B7-0C24-4247-B08B-5B82DB5359A4.jpeg

AACCE498-7362-4FBD-8871-07A73706007A.jpeg

E9D3BDA3-074E-42E0-91FD-E997048B1327.jpeg

F6E5020C-2357-47BB-9078-9FAF6AD5620C.jpeg

32171474-BD09-4CE7-9B9E-8FF7545A40BF.jpeg

75A0EED4-F52C-4441-BD1B-4B1C33E01114.jpeg

8658463A-4AEF-47FF-9E52-C925F237E56D.jpeg

Edited by john phx
Typo

That is a post ‘64 push feed action gun. It is a 60’s vintage gun, check the serial number it will start with the letter G

It’s without question a post-64.  The pre-64 had controlled round feeding which had the Mauser looking metal extractor claw running the length of the bolt.  Can’t miss it.  They went to the push feed bolt like this one after 64.  

Good luck on the sale. Not to lowball or anything as i have no interest in that rifle but you are asking about double it’s value. If it was a pre-64 like you thought, you’d still be pretty high but closer

• Like 3

I own a 1965 Mod. 70 .264 mag that has been my go-to-gun since I've owned it. Bought it with a Redfield scope through Stoeger Arms where my ex-neighbor in NJ worked as an accountant and later became CEO.

I can't even estimate how many critters it has killed over the past 50 years other than to say "a lot." I've used it for everything from javelina to a 60" Canada moose and three subspecies of caribou. With a few exceptions, the dozens of deer and elk I've taken have been shot with this rifle.  In Africa, I shot 11 of the 12 animals with it, and in New Zealand I used it for tahr, red stag and Arapawa sheep. The last thing it killed was my desert sheep.

It has been carried in a rifle scabbard for many, many miles on numerous horseback hunts and when I was guiding in Colo. during the mid-1970s. So it took a bit of a beating. I eventually had Robar Inc. put a satin silver NP3 (no rust) finish and a McMillan synthetic stock on it. I also changed out the scope to a Leupold high-end one in satin silver. With those improvements, It looks almost new yet.

In all that time, I've NEVER had any problems because it is a push-feed gun. 

This is the rifle with a Colo. deer. Note the camo pattern. 😉

TonyMandilebuck3opt

• Like 2

Why did you need so many bullets then?  LOL  I have a pre-64 and by all accounts it is a better rifle and is priced accordingly.  Maybe the post rifle got a bad rap but so did the 6MM Rem.  Sometimes rifles are valued by the fad at the time but that is the way it is.

52 minutes ago, ThomC said:
  • Why did you need so many bullets then?  LOL  I have a pre-64 and by all accounts it is a better rifle and is priced accordingly.  Maybe the post rifle got a bad rap but so did the 6MM Rem.  Sometimes rifles are valued by the fad at the time but that is the way it is.

Describe "better?"

Was the '57 T-Bird ( I owned the 1956 pre-fin version) a better car than the later versions?? If the answer is NO, which it should be, than why are the '57s now worth more than north of $100K for the most part? 

The only reason pre-64s are high priced is for collectible reasons, not function. You can cite the differences all day and won't be able to explain why the newer versions are less dependable, and why most rifle makers now use push feed actions, just like the military uses in its M14 and M16 rifles.

In my limited experience the post 64 MOD 70 push feed was a very nice rifle. I love the MOD 70 safety and the trigger was consider solid and easy to tune up. The one 270 I had produced nice groups and 20-20 hindsight don't think I would have sold it. But where or who told you that this rifle would sell for $1200.00? 

• Confused 1