AZFieldOptics

Cartridge of the Week: .243 Winchester

When I was 11 and about to start hunting my dad sold his pump action 30-06 (yes, pump action 30-06) and put the money toward a pair of Model 70s, one in the same caliber for him and the other in .243 to serve as my first deer rifle. Now they are both in my safe down here in Arizona and aside from a heavier trigger pull than I prefer -  which is easily fixable - the .243 is still one of my favorite guns to shoot and the gun I took my first deer with. The next time I find myself back in Wisconsin for a rifle hunt that will be the gun I have with me.

1 hour ago, AZFieldOptics said:

Yeah, public opinion has vaulted a lot of lesser cartridges to the forefront while sweeping excellent ones away. .260 Remington is another great example of that, although its enjoying somewhat of a comeback in the long-range game. Its puzzled me how all these new super cartridges, as a good as they are, are often treated as revolutionary... we've been down this road before starting with the exceptional 6.5x55!

I laugh all the time about all the people thinking 6.5 creed is so revolutionary. The 260 has done it for years, and the 6.5x55 has done it for 125 years. The only thing a 6.5 creed can do that a 6.5x55 can't is fit in a short action. So many good old calibers like 6.5x55, 264 Win Mag, etc are overlooked because they are not the new hot thing. Some of the old stuff is better than the new hot thing many times.

• Like 2

double post

2 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I laugh all the time about all the people thinking 6.5 creed is so revolutionary. The 260 has done it for years, and the 6.5x55 has done it for 125 years. The only thing a 6.5 creed can do that a 6.5x55 can't is fit in a short action. So many good old calibers like 6.5x55, 264 Win Mag, etc are overlooked because they are not the new hot thing. Some of the old stuff is better than the new hot thing many times.

Totally agree! I'm biased, the 6.5x55 is my favorite of all time, but only because its an amazing round. .264 as well, and I'd say .257 Weatherby is another underappreciated cartridge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, broadhead said:

When I was 11 and about to start hunting my dad sold his pump action 30-06 (yes, pump action 30-06) and put the money toward a pair of Model 70s, one in the same caliber for him and the other in .243 to serve as my first deer rifle. Now they are both in my safe down here in Arizona and aside from a heavier trigger pull than I prefer -  which is easily fixable - the .243 is still one of my favorite guns to shoot and the gun I took my first deer with. The next time I find myself back in Wisconsin for a rifle hunt that will be the gun I have with me.

Its hard to argue with a .243 in a bolt gun for deer. I love it, because its such a versatile round, as are most in the 6-6.5mm family of cartridges. They can all fit so many roles.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AZFieldOptics said:

Totally agree! I'm biased, the 6.5x55 is my favorite of all time, but only because its an amazing round. .264 as well, and I'd say .257 Weatherby is another underappreciated cartridge.

My favorite is 6.5x55 also. I do love my 257 weatherby. I don't have a 264 win mag...yet... Once the barrel on my 257 burns out, it may become a 264 win mag...

Good to know there's another 6.5x55 guy out there! Yeah, I've dreamed of a .257 W for quite some time. I try to talk myself into a less expensive chambering, but I cant shake the idea!

On 6/27/2019 at 2:09 PM, broadhead said:

I have used two of these springs and they reduced the trigger pull as stated. 

http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i35.html

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AZFieldOptics said:

Good to know there's another 6.5x55 guy out there! Yeah, I've dreamed of a .257 W for quite some time. I try to talk myself into a less expensive chambering, but I cant shake the idea!

The Swede reigns supreme!

On 7/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, AZFieldOptics said:

I love my .257 Wby Mag! But I just picked up a Howa in .243 Win to serve as a practice/backup/loaner/windy coyote rifle to supplement the Vanguard S2. Can't wait to get the Howa out and see what all the hype is about!