Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Love snakes, but not these ones!!!!

Yesterday evening removed the head of a rattler in our backyard. Put it in the garage fridge (per the wife) for a little science project today. There was something clearly in the back third of this thing due to the girth, pics don’t due justice as to the thickness, but I was itching to find out.

I love dissecting these (A) to see what it has in its stomach (B) to save the skin (C) because I’m that kind of guy.

As I was pulling the skin off, noticed numerous orange-yellowish gelatinous bulbs with dark spirals within them. Cut one open and pulled out a 3” earthworm looking serpent. The eye was completely developed much larger than the head. A total of (6) of these were waiting to be hatched. Cool as heck, but heck no having more of these around my house. 

Skin is on a plank waiting to be cured, roughly 3’ in length. The flip flops are size 14 for a reference.

D6207746-B71D-45A4-869B-4ADEF506A4B3.jpeg

5D498398-F19D-4999-B767-5ACBECC37936.jpeg

9996A52B-B1D8-43DD-AAA1-5A1EDEA8CECE.jpeg

2E1E1A30-0631-4950-8696-A326286A7A49.jpeg

• Like 4

One that size tried to bite my dog in the back yard. Skinned it and scraped it and put it in glycerin and rubbing alcohol for 4 days then tacked it to a beautiful piece of cedar and hung it on the wall. The dog flips his paw at it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

The last big female I killed had 17 eggs in it. I hate them

Holy smokes........18 less than I have to deal with!!!!

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Creepy

What’s really creepy is that they give birth to live young. I would have shat a sailboat if while I was skinning it, I came across them wriggling around.

probably would have gotten the flame torch and lit them up!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yesterday evening removed the head of a rattler in our backyard. Put it in the garage fridge (per the wife) for a little science project today. There was something clearly in the back third of this thing due to the girth, pics don’t due justice as to the thickness, but I was itching to find out.

I love dissecting these (A) to see what it has in its stomach (B) to save the skin (C) because I’m that kind of guy.

As I was pulling the skin off, noticed numerous orange-yellowish gelatinous bulbs with dark spirals within them. Cut one open and pulled out a 3” earthworm looking serpent. The eye was completely developed much larger than the head. A total of (6) of these were waiting to be hatched. Cool as heck, but heck no having more of these around my house. 

Skin is on a plank waiting to be cured, roughly 3’ in length. The flip flops are size 14 for a reference.

D6207746-B71D-45A4-869B-4ADEF506A4B3.jpeg

5D498398-F19D-4999-B767-5ACBECC37936.jpeg

9996A52B-B1D8-43DD-AAA1-5A1EDEA8CECE.jpeg

2E1E1A30-0631-4950-8696-A326286A7A49.jpeg

What size shoes are those?

14”

Maybe you could sell them to "THE THING" down by Willcox so that will actually have some rattlesnake eggs instead of those that they sell in their tourist trap store.  

• Like 2

Hello there! Snakes are beautiful creatures and according to this article https://petsoid.com/do-pet-snakes-like-to-be-petted/ they can be also nice pets for someone. But not when they are babies. Honestly, I thought that baby snakes look different. I’m lucky that I didn’t see anything like that in my backyard. You are very brave, that you have caught this snake and even removed its skin, cut it to see what’s inside. I’m also very curious, but I’m courageous enough to do something like that. Hopefully, I will never have to do this.

I used to tan those when I was a kid my dad had me do all the dirty work and we used to use glycerin also but, found out from a old guy to try regular Prestone antifreeze not the diluted stuff. Skin it, scrape the underside clean, stretch and tack it to a board, brush the Prestone on twice a day (morning and evening) for 3 days then on the 4th day rinse it of real good and let dry. Cut it off your tack down and its done.

Oh yeah have skinned many with almost born babies inside and you could see the diamond pattern on them, pretty dang cool. Nice mojave by the way.