NOTAGS

censorship?

10 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I’m glad Amanda came up the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum.  It’s made the site more enjoyable for folks who just want to share information and experiences on hunting, hiking, fishing, shooting, backpacking, etc. because we can now do so without having to wade through numerous overtly political threads.  I’ve learned so much by being a member on here for more than a decade. 

Sure, politics are important.  I’m glad people hold political beliefs.  I certainly hold them.  I’m glad people discuss politics publicly because that’s the market place of ideas where we can critically scrutinize and pressure test our own ideas and those of others.   We can change our views if convinced we were wrong about something or we can have more confidence in our convictions if, when exposed to challenges and different viewpoints, we emerge more convinced of our position.  So we win either way.

If someone wants to talk politics with me, I’m happy oblige.  If, however, someone wants to talk politics at me, well, I’ve never found that useful.  Often, the political topics in the Campfire forum devolved into simplistic, intransigent, name-calling full of logical fallacies.  That’s not helpful, not productive, and not fun.

I go with the premise that we are all Americans and that we all want what’s best for America.  I also believe that we have different ideas for how to best keep this Republic humming along in the most efficient and sustainable way.  Throughout human history, Democracy has been the exception, not the rule.  The fact that we have, for the last 243 years or so, governed ourselves without a monarchy, without an oligarchy, without a plutocracy, is pretty remarkable. 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity” can and, indeed, should have direct, thoughtful, and serious discussions about our society and politics.  It’s our enemies that want us to see our fellow Americans with different ideas as “others” who represent an existential threat to our way of life, not worthy of being treated with dignity and respect, and to have us be divided by stereotypes, tropes, and simplistic name calling.   

I guess I took the long way around the barn on this but I’m glad Amanda came up the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum. 

Worst and most useless post of the year!  Congrats on being part of the problem

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I’m glad Amanda came up the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum.  It’s made the site more enjoyable for folks who just want to share information and experiences on hunting, hiking, fishing, shooting, backpacking, etc. because we can now do so without having to wade through numerous overtly political threads.  I’ve learned so much by being a member on here for more than a decade. 

Sure, politics are important.  I’m glad people hold political beliefs.  I certainly hold them.  I’m glad people discuss politics publicly because that’s the market place of ideas where we can critically scrutinize and pressure test our own ideas and those of others.   We can change our views if convinced we were wrong about something or we can have more confidence in our convictions if, when exposed to challenges and different viewpoints, we emerge more convinced of our position.  So we win either way.

If someone wants to talk politics with me, I’m happy oblige.  If, however, someone wants to talk politics at me, well, I’ve never found that useful.  Often, the political topics in the Campfire forum devolved into simplistic, intransigent, name-calling full of logical fallacies.  That’s not helpful, not productive, and not fun.

I go with the premise that we are all Americans and that we all want what’s best for America.  I also believe that we have different ideas for how to best keep this Republic humming along in the most efficient and sustainable way.  Throughout human history, Democracy has been the exception, not the rule.  The fact that we have, for the last 243 years or so, governed ourselves without a monarchy, without an oligarchy, without a plutocracy, is pretty remarkable. 

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity” can and, indeed, should have direct, thoughtful, and serious discussions about our society and politics.  It’s our enemies that want us to see our fellow Americans with different ideas as “others” who represent an existential threat to our way of life, not worthy of being treated with dignity and respect, and to have us be divided by stereotypes, tropes, and simplistic name calling.   

I guess I took the long way around the barn on this but I’m glad Amanda came up the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum. 

why dont you just not click on the threads if you dont want to read it

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

I’m always open to being persuaded that I am or was wrong about something.  And I’m not ashamed to admit it when I believe I was wrong.  As the poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744) said No one should be ashamed to admit he is wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.”

@ AZLance:  Characterizing my comments “Worst and most useless post of the year!”  and saying that I’m “being part of the problem” are conclusory  statements.  Those bare conclusions, without any arguments or reasons to support them, are not persuasive.

@ trphyhntr:  You actually make my point for me.  why dont you just not click on the threads if you dont want to read it” is precisely the reason the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum exists.  I’ve never asked for a password to enter that forum because don’t want to read it because I remember the stuff that used to be posted on there before that forum existed and I’ve seen the threads that have been moved there.  The Campfire is a place for all of us and we all click away on it looking for something interesting, enlightening or funny.  The Campfire can’t be ignored.  The Non-hunting related Politics forum, on the other hand, is easy to ignore. 

@ AZLance & trphyhntr:  I’ve always enjoyed your posts which include your commentary and the pictures you’ve been generous enough to share.  You’re both welcome around my campfire any time. And if either of you show up, and there’s one last beer in the cooler, it’s yours. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I’m always open to being persuaded that I am or was wrong about something.  And I’m not ashamed to admit it when I believe I was wrong.  As the poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744) said No one should be ashamed to admit he is wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that he is wiser today than he was yesterday.”

@ AZLance:  Characterizing my comments “Worst and most useless post of the year!”  and saying that I’m “being part of the problem” are conclusory  statements.  Those bare conclusions, without any arguments or reasons to support them, are not persuasive.

@ trphyhntr:  You actually make my point for me.  why dont you just not click on the threads if you dont want to read it” is precisely the reason the “Non-hunting related Politics” forum exists.  I’ve never asked for a password to enter that forum because don’t want to read it because I remember the stuff that used to be posted on there before that forum existed and I’ve seen the threads that have been moved there.  The Campfire is a place for all of us and we all click away on it looking for something interesting, enlightening or funny.  The Campfire can’t be ignored.  The Non-hunting related Politics forum, on the other hand, is easy to ignore. 

@ AZLance & trphyhntr:  I’ve always enjoyed your posts which include your commentary and the pictures you’ve been generous enough to share.  You’re both welcome around my campfire any time. And if either of you show up, and there’s one last beer in the cooler, it’s yours. 

Knitting club bans Trump conservative conversation........ :)

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/27/18744347/ravelry-trump-ban-backlash-community-reaction

But, a password?  There is a back arrow on your computer if you get scared.  😊  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a lousy thread.  Somebody should have offered a warning that reading this thread is a total waste of time.  Or better yet, move it to the political discussion room so people can avoid reading this kind of garbage.

• Like 4

Yup, every once in a while this happens; Someone posts something that Amanda has previously made clear she doesn't want, so it gets moved.   As far as 'censorship' goes, the bottom line is this is a private website and the owner can do anything with the content they please (Including censoring posts.....).    People sometimes get their feelings hurt or get upset when their content is moved, but oh well, you can't please everyone. ;)

She simply wants content posted in the section that most closely fits the topic.  Easy peasy! 

S.

• Like 4

How about a Garbage page.  Moderators or people with at least 1850   posts could put any thread or post in it.  Oh no there would be nothing left in the site and the garbage would be the page everyone looks at first.  It is the internet you know.  😲

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Maybe we can create a "safe space" forum where we censor out anything that might offend someone.   I bet it would be full of content. When I look at youtube I don't click on "shirtless men playing volley ball", because I don't want to see that. I don't tell youtube to censor it.

• Like 4

Is there a page where Big Boys can play. I didn't know this was the AZ. republic newspaper................BOB!

• Like 3

On 6/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, MT_Sourdough said:

What a lousy thread.  Somebody should have offered a warning that reading this thread is a total waste of time.  Or better yet, move it to the political discussion room so people can avoid reading this kind of garbage.

show me on the doll where the words hurt you 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

Looks like NIKE thread just got NUKED???

Heck, its not even in the dungeon ?  Is there an even deeper, darker place for when we drop even further below our usual  low standards of civility and PC correctness?

• Like 1