Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

41W Sheep 2019

In addition to my prospected bonus point pass on a late Coues hunt in a top tier unit. I'm (almost) speechless. Drew the 2nd tag on my 2nd choice, 41W. 9 points, I'm genuinely sorry to those guys with 25+. Clearly this was nothing more than a dream, but proof that dreams come true.

From unit info to tips on just enjoying the once in a lifetime opportunity, if anyone can share anything at all, I really, really appreciate it. I look forward to sharing the journey with you.

• Like 11
  • Wow! 1

You don’t have to shoot one on the first or second day.   I know most people feel like scouting is part of the hunt but enjoy it, you might never have a tag again, why only hunt for 3 hours.    Look over every part of the unit, including the flats.   Some of the best sheep hunters say new rams show up out of no where around December 20.   Can’t see them if you kill day 1

Congrats, post some pictures once you're hunt is finished. Also, I have talked to plenty of people that passed on nice rams the first day and could never find them again. I agree with everyone that taking your time is great advice, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the notes!

I definitely don't want to rush anything but I have always said, if I ever got a tag, I would stalk every attempt to arrow one of the top 5 caliber rams that I knew existed, and not pull a rifle out until the last week of the hunt or unless I was dead set on a particular ram for character. I feel if it comes together on day x, it comes together on day x. 

And call me foolish, literally, I need to hear it, but I'm a coues junky and still really want to hunt my coues tag I've been dreaming about for 12 years. Current logic is to try to shoot any 3pt+ buck in August and take away any temptation. Otherwise, use my deer point guard and just keep the tag for next year. That said, am I a jerk to hold on to the late coues tag until the last available day? 

8 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

Thanks for the notes!

I definitely don't want to rush anything but I have always said, if I ever got a tag, I would stalk every attempt to arrow one of the top 5 caliber rams that I knew existed, and not pull a rifle out until the last week of the hunt or unless I was dead set on a particular ram for character. I feel if it comes together on day x, it comes together on day x. 

And call me foolish, literally, I need to hear it, but I'm a coues junky and still really want to hunt my coues tag I've been dreaming about for 12 years. Current logic is to try to shoot any 3pt+ buck in August and take away any temptation. Otherwise, use my deer point guard and just keep the tag for next year. That said, am I a jerk to hold on to the late coues tag until the last available day? 

Throw the coues tag in the garbage. Lol

There is nothing like having a once in a lifetime sheep tag in your pocket imo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I tried to send you a PM but you are filled up!  Have some scoop you may or may not have heard already about 41W.  Let me know...

That coues tag don't need to go in the can, but that would be a good time to use Point Guard if you got it.

• Like 3

WOW, Congrats buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!