Sign in to follow this  

Sheep Tag Drawn-24BN

Congrats to all that have been lucky enough to draw a sheep tag! It looks like my dad finally drew with max pts, either 24B North. We have never been guided on a hunt, but are considering one for this hunt! We think Colburn and Scott might be a good choice, but If you have any other suggestions for Guides I would appreciate any information. 

• Like 2

Wow!! 

Congrats to your dad.  

I hear about good results from C&S, my neighbor used them on a 17d sheep hunt and was thrilled with the results.

i also know Jeremy Ulmer is la local to those units and has killed both rocky and desert bighorns with his bow, I would consider him also.

• Like 1

Dieringer outfitters would be someone to call as well. good luck and congrats

• Like 1

If you want to shoot the biggest ram and hunt with guys that have a true passion for sheep you have to call Tim Downs and Bob Kyhn for those units.  Arizona Desert Outfitters are hard to beat also for sheep.  

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the information, after checking the websites of all of the guides mentioned so far they all seem to be very good! Although we know we would likely have a very good hunt and harvest a big ram without a guide, I don't know if I will be able to persuade him to go without on this one.  Whatever decision is made we will try to make the most of this once in a lifetime opportunity!

• Like 1

How much of Unit 24 got burnt?

1 hour ago, rageinthesage said:

How much of Unit 24 got burnt?

It looks like the fire is at 120k+ acres and has burnt a lot of the wilderness in 24B South. I'm looking at a map that was updated on 6/27 and it appears a good portion of 24B North did not burn, but things could have changed the last few days.

The biggest question is does your dad want to hunt a sheep or just shoot a sheep after a hike? If the biggest sheep someone else finds is what he wants to shoot then go guided. If he wants the experience of knowing he found and killed the biggest sheep he worked for then go unguided. Either way what ever makes him happy is what it is all about. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, jim said:

The biggest question is does your dad want to hunt a sheep or just shoot a sheep after a hike? If the biggest sheep someone else finds is what he wants to shoot then go guided. If he wants the experience of knowing he found and killed the biggest sheep he worked for then go unguided. Either way what ever makes him happy is what it is all about. 

I agree, and that's probably the main reason we have never had a reason to hire a guide. We've always felt that going out and scouting was the most enjoyable part to prepare for any hunt, and if things worked out in your favor your usually successful early on in the hunt. He had always mentioned that if he were to ever hire a guide, it would be for sheep. He's gone his whole life without a guide, and I think the "once in a lifetime" type hunt is the main reason he is choosing to go guided. He is one that won't settle for just any Ram, he is definitely the type of hunter that will look for the largest Ram possible and will hunt the whole month if needed in order to find the right one. Should be interesting, and I honestly hope the hunt does not end quickly as I would like everybody that is part of it to enjoy every extra day it might take to harvest a great Ram!   

• Like 2

If you want a guide I would do it!!!!!  This is once in a lifetime and those guys know what their doing.  Personally if I drew one of those units I would use a guide to find the biggest Ram in the unit.  Also I would use Chris Harlow to guide me and be my Taxidermist he's the best in the business.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, buffhunter said:

If you want a guide I would do it!!!!!  This is once in a lifetime and those guys know what their doing.  Personally if I drew one of those units I would use a guide to find the biggest Ram in the unit.  Also I would use Chris Harlow to guide me and be my Taxidermist he's the best in the business.

Note that Chris Harlow is part of Double H Outfitters which has been mentioned above.  

• Like 3