longbowpilot

Activists in the draw

13 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

It’s not activists. It’s Instagram pages like Mathews archery that did a film in January telling everyone about seeing 500 deer, it’s pages like hushin that go out of their way to make sure everyone knows the opportunity in AZ, etc. but the funny thing is all the people who think October- early December is anything like January are in for a rude awakening. 

Hushpuppies are the worst 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I get your point, but you can't by a tag in the draw. You can only buy a bonus point.

They do apply for the draw, its been going on for years, unfortunately they have the right to..

They probably are buying up tags. Don't think that they aren't in a Game and Fish Dept, DNR or any other state dept that manages wildlife. Any outdoor magazine predicted it in the 70's.

• Like 1

It has been rumored for years that anti-hunters have been buying tags.  This was a common theme back in the day when you didn't have to buy a license in order to apply.  Not saying that it doesn't occur but I have never seen evidence that it is true.  I believe most antis are like hunters.  Most just talk and don't put their money where their mouth is.  I know some very hard core hunters who are not part of any hunting or conservation groups because they are too cheap to drop the $30-$50 annual fees.  I would imagine antis are the same way.

Another rumor and one I happen to believe, is game & fish has many anti-hunters on their payroll.  The non-game branch folks are a whole different breed than the big game branch folks.  It would be interesting to find out how many of the wolf, ferret, condor and hump back chub folks applied for deer in this past AZ draw.  During the hiring process it would be nice if they did a back ground check to see how many hunting and fishing licenses they have purchased over the years before they make the decision to hire them.  

Congratulations and good luck to all the HUNTERS that drew this year.

Oh well.............. I guess this is how we spend our time during the hot time of year.

2 hours ago, knothead said:

It has been rumored for years that anti-hunters have been buying tags.  This was a common theme back in the day when you didn't have to buy a license in order to apply.  Not saying that it doesn't occur but I have never seen evidence that it is true.  I believe most antis are like hunters.  Most just talk and don't put their money where their mouth is.  I know some very hard core hunters who are not part of any hunting or conservation groups because they are too cheap to drop the $30-$50 annual fees.  I would imagine antis are the same way.

Another rumor and one I happen to believe, is game & fish has many anti-hunters on their payroll.  The non-game branch folks are a whole different breed than the big game branch folks.  It would be interesting to find out how many of the wolf, ferret, condor and hump back chub folks applied for deer in this past AZ draw.  During the hiring process it would be nice if they did a back ground check to see how many hunting and fishing licenses they have purchased over the years before they make the decision to hire them.  

Oh well.............. I guess this is how we spend our time during the hot time of year.

Before September 29th, 2012 the AZGFD like every other state agency was full of covered employees, after that date a good portion of AZGFD employees lost their covered status and every state employee that has been hired since except law enforcement are uncovered.  If you ever interview for an AZGFD job regardless of what you're interviewing for there are three mandatory questions and one of those questions directly relates to your outdoor experience and if you have any issues with that segment of the public. 

10 hours ago, knothead said:

I think the % of game and fish employees that hunt is not as high as you think.   I bet 30-40% of them hunt.  

As for antis buying tags.  A quick look at hunt Arizona shows for deer tags over 96% of people use the tags that were drawn.    Gotta be less than 1% of the tags are actually being drawn by antis.   It’s just a conspiracy theory to me

.I think they mainly focus on the big stuff that they think are just for trophies. Sheep and buffalo here in AZ. One of the grizz tags in Wyoming I think was drawn by an anti. Nobody got to use those tags tho.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:00 PM, longbowpilot said:

I heard that about 20% of tags in the draw are bought by wildlife activists trying to prevent animals from being killed, then they just throw the tags away.  Any truth to that?

who cares, they paid for it they can do what they want with it.

whats the difference between them and the guys that get a tag and decide no to go for any reason, or if you wanna get more picky whats the difference between them and the guys that wont shoot anything  under xxx size?

If activist do put in for the draw then that lowers the harvest objective for a unit and increases the tag allocation the next go around.  In theory. 

• Like 3

On 7/3/2019 at 5:41 AM, idgaf said:

If activist do put in for the draw then that lowers the harvest objective for a unit and increases the tag allocation the next go around.  In theory. 

I could be wrong but I believe this to be true.

From what Ive seen in the hunting field and I believe that Game and fish has a statistic that they try to get as many tags in a area that doesn't hurt the population.  Almost every draw hunt ive been on its always during a full moon.  Lots of hunters go in and day one is where most kills happen.  Day 1 you here shots all day.  Day 2 you hear 1-2 shots in that day.  The hunting pressure is so much with so many tags the animals take advantage of the moon light and go nocturnal.  Hunters usually go home on Sunday and only the serious hunters will stay till the end which is just a hand full of them. Have you ever stayed out to Monday or Tuesday?    You never run into another hunter. Then there is some success there. 

So in conclusion Game and Fish make the biggest bang for your buck (need to treat it like a business to succeed) A lot of people are happy they get drawn and hunt.  Its just success rates are down.  Once enough are taking then game and fish drops the tags.  Ive kept lots of old regulation.  Lots of tags in a area with low % kills they drop it by 50-200 tags.  Funny in the next year when they drop it % kills from 15-20% goes up to 38% the next year.  Less pressure more kills!!!  Lets say 600 tags with 15% harvest thats 90 harvest.   Then they drop to 400 tags with 35% success rate thats 140 harvest.  They always adjust to hit that 20% range.  Then bump up to 500 tags to many kills last year.  Then it hits 20% success rate equals 100 harvest.  So just my opinion they try to get as many tags to keep it around 20-25% success rates.  Enough tags to make money and enough people to keep happy. 

So if the Antis buy tags and ditch it all it does is kill more animals!!!  Thanks Antis!!!