Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Window Replacement

Has anyone on here replaced the windows in their house? My swiggle seals are shot, and the windows are just plain junk. I refuse to pay what the "renewal" companies want to charge. I have been thinking about getting replacement vinyl inserts. It doesn't look that challenging to do, I'm just curious of the quality instead of going with full blown replacements. 

I just replaced all the windows in my house with vinyl windows. Pretty easy to do. Replaced all trim, inside and out. Have about $1600 for 10 windows with trim. My buddy got a bid to replace 2 double hung windows at his house for $1700.

Good topic.

Renewal by Andersen gave me a bid for 27,000.00 for 9 windows. Two of which were solid panes. So glad I didn't ask about the sliders or french doors. 

Still looking myself.

What type of construction is your house? Block is a pretty easy install.  If you have stucco they know have windows where you remove the windows and the frame stays in place and the new one inserts in to he opening. Super easy install. So easy an activist could do it.

I went with Milgard vinyl and have been super happy with them. Been about 10 years now and they held up great. I had 1 pane crack and the seal lost in one other one. Milgard was quick about the replacement and the customer service outstanding. I could feel the improvement by less drafts in the house but even more than that was the reduction in outdoor noise. I live in the flight path of Scottsdale Airport and the flight noise was much less. 

• Wow! 1

My brother in law will do side work. Without "throwing him under the bus"... he works for a local company that sells windows and does installs... but he has also done installs on the weekend, on the side.  It's all he's ever really done as a career. he knows his stuff... pm me for info

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Huntnfish said:

I just replaced all the windows in my house with vinyl windows. Pretty easy to do. Replaced all trim, inside and out. Have about $1600 for 10 windows with trim. My buddy got a bid to replace 2 double hung windows at his house for $1700.

What brand did you get, Home Depot or Lowes?

19 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Good topic.

Renewal by Andersen gave me a bid for 27,000.00 for 9 windows. Two of which were solid panes. So glad I didn't ask about the sliders or french doors. 

Still looking myself.

😲 

wow!

As a contractor this is a big blanket statement, you should be able to have windows installed for roughly 300-500 per window depending on the window.  And that is installed by the contractor.  If it's more than $500 per window pm men you are getting ripped off.  My average per was 300-350.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ctafoya said:

What brand did you get, Home Depot or Lowes?

I did jeld-wen from Home Depot. I had to special order every window, because they were not standard sizes. They were 20% off, but after special order I basically paid full price. It beat having to change the opening size though. Did all the windows in 2 days and worked on trim after my real job.

• Like 1