Quienyo

What does a little extra money buy?

I'm in an envios spot right now that I'm in the market to buy a hunting rifle with a $2K price cap.  I have a .243, .270 and a 30-06 that cover the age spectrum from WWII to last year.  I was torn between the .260 REM and the 6.5 Creedmoor and since I don't reload, I think the 6.5 wins out simply based on commercial ammo availability.

With the 6.5 being my choice, I am looking a a wide spectrum of brands and prices to choose my rifle from.  I have held and like the feel of both Tikkas and Bergaras (B-14 line) and am wondering what a buyer gets when they jump to a $1500-2000 semi-custom Kimber or Montana? The Bergara premier line intrigues me as well as does the Sako 85 (in .260REM).  

Are the next level guns worth the jump in $$ or is it simply marketing? I've read that the $2k mark is a dead spot in hunting rifles, i.e., good $500-1000 productions guns don't differ much from the $1500-2000 guns.  The big jump in perceived performance arrives around the $3k mark. If this proves true, I'd guess I'd be best sticking to the factory B-14 Bergara Hunter or Ridge. 

Anyways, many more seasoned folks here that can help me come to a sound decision.  Please let me know your thoughts, except on how lame the 6.5 creedmoor is in your opinion, I am set on the caliber.  Thanks.

Buy a semi custom 6.5 on longrangehunting.com forum. Someone did all the work building it and you get to reap the benefits at a fraction of the price. Another option is to get a factory rifle like a tikka and put a better scope on it. Tikka and a nightforce shv comes in around $2k and will be a great combo

• Like 1

$2k rifle only, or does that include glass. 

I held a fierce with carbon wrap barrel the other day at Sportsman's. I think it was about $1800. It seemed to offer alot of the options a $2500-3000 rifle does. The question would be how tight the machine work was compared to a custom.

If the total budget was 2k, I would be looking at an $800-1200 rifle with an $800-1200 scope.

• Like 1

The $2000 limit is rifle only. I am going to give a local scope company (RITON) a run at the scope. I realize they are not considered high-end glass, but for now, they are who I'm going to use.

Folks, I realize the importance of the scope. I plan on getting comfortable with the rifle this year (I did not get drawn) and moving forward with a higher end scope around the new year. In the mean time, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? I'm not sure a wrapped barrel is the way to go, I'm no sniper nor olympic distance shooter, just a guy who is looking to comfortably make 400-600 yard shots. Thanks again.

If you are local call Eric at axisworks. See what he can do. If that is out of your budget I would go 1 of 4 routes. 

1. Explore the Fierce Carbon they have at Sportsman's.

2. Kimber if you are looking for light and off the shelf. 

3. Something cheaper, but maybe upgrade the stock and trigger.

4. Cheap Ruger or savage in 6.5 CM and lots of ammo. Practice practice practice. 

• Like 1

Ruger American for 3-400 bucks and the rest on a scope. Or find a good used one that’s been built already. Most rifles outshot their owners. Good glass and a trigger help you even the playing field.

Personally, I would say buy a lightly used semi-custom as well.  You will get WAY more for your money.  A top end barrel, trued up action, usually bolt upgrades, higher quality stock that is usually bedded already, trigger upgrade.  There are usually no less than 20 on either www.longrangehunting.com or www.snipershide.com to choose from.  You will most likely not get a top end carbon barrel in that price range, but a top end steel will suit you fine.  

If you want factory, look at the Christensen Arms Ridgeline series.  I have shot 8 or 9 of them, and they are great rifles.  Light, accurate, and high quality.

I think Axisworks has a 6.5CM already built using an R700 trued SA, Brux barrel, McM stock, Trigger Tech, for about $2800.  Well worth saving an additional $800 for if I were in your shoes.

• Like 4

For the money and right off the shelf the Tikka is very hard to beat. I have messed with lots of the higher end factory rifles like the Christensen, Cooper and Kimbers. I haven't seen them do anything better than a Tikka that costs half as much. The Tikka will easily be a half moa rifle even with off the shelf ammo. I have yet to mess with one that hasn't shot extremely well. I would drop the $700 on a Tikka and put the rest into a nice piece of glass and skip the lower end glass bit and just be done with it. With a little bit of work, the Tikka can be truly amazing. Here is a five shot group of a load I worked up for a factory off the shelf Tikka T3x in 6.5x55. No bedding, no trigger, just bone stock. 

6.5x55 Group 2.jpg

• Like 11

I ended up with a Christensen Arms Mesa chambered in the 6.5 PRC. I put a box of the 143 ELD-X through it last weekend and can't wait for my next range time with my son.  Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1