Sign in to follow this  
Lazy-H98

Shoulder dents?

Some of my cases, in Redding dies, would dent with just a tiny bit too much liquid lube. When I switched to a dry graphite dry lube the problem was eliminated. Just a suggestion.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, 10Turkeys said:

Could be too much lube on your cases when you resize them, could be something is stuck in your die. That dent should blow out when you fire your gun.

You were absolutely correct, I shot the 6 at the range, all dents gone now.  Thanks 10T

3 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

You were absolutely correct, I shot the 6 at the range, all dents gone now.  Thanks 10T

No Problem.

So I cleaned out my FL resizing die with brake cleaner.  I lubed up my first one with Hornady One shot spray,  On the up stroke (brass going up/in) it felt fine, but on the down stroke (brass going down/out) it was had as heck to get it out.  After the brake cleaner, do I need to re-season my die?  I stopped after the third case.  I've placed an order for the Redding Imperial wax.  

Sounds like you went from one extreme to the other. The very last thing you want to do is to get a case stuck in your die (been there done that). Imperial is about as good as it gets. You haven't mentioned it but you might think about lubing the inside case mouth with something if you are using a resizer die with an expander ball, also you will need to tumble or vibrate your brass afterward to get the lube out of the inside of the case. Some use some sort of graphite, but I never have. Different strokes for different folks, but one thing for sure is be consistent with every procedure, if you do it for one do it for all, ie cleaning the primer pockets, ect, ect.

14 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

So I cleaned out my FL resizing die with brake cleaner.  I lubed up my first one with Hornady One shot spray,  On the up stroke (brass going up/in) it felt fine, but on the down stroke (brass going down/out) it was had as heck to get it out.  After the brake cleaner, do I need to re-season my die?  I stopped after the third case.  I've placed an order for the Redding Imperial wax.  

Did you wait a few minutes after spraying with one shot? If you use it right away you will have issues. I usually let stand for 5 minutes.

I always spray my die and bushing before sizing.

0000 steel wool to polish it after it’s dry then spray it again and air dry. Lube the sizer ball as stated previously. Shouldn’t have to lube every case after the first few have been sized. I lube every other/third depending on the round.

So I get home last night and everyone is gone for the night, Time to figure this mess out.  You guys nailed it!  My sizer ball was dry.  My Imperial sizing wax still hasn't shown up, so I hit it with Hornady one shot (this time allowing it to dry), and sized 6 rounds without issue.  Thanks!

• Like 2