Hello all,

I drew a unit 23N early archery bull tag and was wondering if anyone would be willing to share any information on the unit. I realize that i have drawn one of the most coveted tags in the state (i had 20 points). I will be able to hunt the entire two weeks if needed and will be there 3-4 days before the hunt starts along with making a few weekend trips to the unit between now and then. I have never been in 23 and would be grateful for any information on places to start. I live in Southern Arizona and mainly hunt coues deer in the border units (leftover tags) i would be willing to trade information if needed. 

Thank you in advance

Lucky you! Going to be a great hunt. I would start with the burn area off the young road and work your way east near the reservation. Shouldn't be too hard to find a good bull in there. Lots of good glassing can be done and there are lots of bulls in the unit. Have patience since you have the whole hunt off and you will be rewarded. Good luck and I'm jealous!

• Like 1

Hate to tell ya but you might not get much help. People are gonna say you had 18 years to learn it and still had 5 months since drawing and now still 3 months.  

Here is my advise.   If you want to find a monster YOU better get up as much as possible and scout.  If you want to have a good time , show up 3 days before, chase bugles and have fun.  Any bugle you go after could be a monster

You can scout all you want now but the bulls you find in July/Aug will be miles away in Sept. 

• Like 5

Have you picked out a new bow yet? A 400 bull shouldn’t be to hard to find, they are pretty much everywhere in 23N. You have done the hard part. Getting drawn that is. The last tag that I drew in a unit and it was in a unit that I knew I started going up in April looking around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

just start going  up now and get to know the unit, drive the roads, there are areas you can hike in and look for cows, the cows will be in the same areas in september. 

1 hour ago, eastvalleyjerry said:

20 years... I would have put in for the early rifle hunt

He’s a bowhunter. 

1 hour ago, eastvalleyjerry said:

20 years... I would have put in for the early rifle hunt

and still wouldn't have been drawn most likely

Thank you all. I accumulated 20 points by being very unlucky a bunch of times while also having to just buy points because of school/career. I chose unit 23N based off of hearing people say its the most vocal/most callable unit in the state. After waiting this long i want to experience the best rut activity that i can. I will shoot a 350" bull at first light opening morning and have no regrets. 

• Like 6

Learn your access roads and GPS a bunch of the areas you see cow elk. Put out some cameras so you can see what resident bulls you have hanging out. You will have res bulls show up also. Boundry of res is not always well marked and is watched. Learn your water sources they hit them often when they are running around that terrian. Haul a ton of ice and have lots of hands willing to help on a difficult packout. Lots of meat is lost in 23N and 23S. Would argue more than any other units. See nearly entire elk spoiled a few times each year. G&F officer there will try to help find any wounded elk fyi. He also keeps track of kills with lost meat and bulls not recovered. 

KEH128,

I sent you a PM.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:33 AM, wish2hunt said:

Have you picked out a new bow yet? A 400 bull shouldn’t be to hard to find, they are pretty much everywhere in 23N. You have done the hard part. Getting drawn that is. The last tag that I drew in a unit and it was in a unit that I knew I started going up in April looking around.