Sign in to follow this  
Big Browns

How do I take my rifle to Alberta Canada?

I'm going to Alberta, Canada in November.  I'm planning on taking my rifle.  When I look up the rules it's very confusing.  Has anyone taken a gun into Alberta?  If so what was the process?

Thanks,

Adam

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/visit-visite-eng.htm

Follow the directions under option 1. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

• Like 1

I did this when I moved from Maine to Michigan, and traveled through Canada.  I showed the paperwork at the border, was sent to the inspection line.  before my trip,  I was given the advice to remove my bolt and put it in a suitcase, and I also disassembled a shotgun that I had and put parts into different boxes.  They liked that and sent me on my way instead of making me tear apart my car for the parts.

• Like 1

Easy, peasey. Just fill out the form below (Do NOT sign it!) and have it ready to give to the agent at the station when you cross the border if you're driving. They might want to examine the firearms. You will then sign it in front of the agent and pay the fee. If I recall, it's about $25-30. 

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/wam/media/2347/original/d369a605ac3363b569af5ea5dc40c88d.pdf

You also need to get a Form 4457, which is for US Customs when you return to the states. Just take your gun(s) to a US custom's office where they will check them and sign off on the form for you. You should also list any other expensive items you're taking into Canada with you.  I used the one at Sky Harbor. Not sure if there are any others in the Valley. And save the #4477; it doesn't expire, so it's reusable.

• Like 1