Sign in to follow this  
Thanson

7E Kachina Peaks October Hunt

Anybody hunted the Kachina Peaks in October?  My son drew the October 4th -10th hunt.  When putting in we knew it would be a tough hunt but better to have a tough hunt than no hunt at all.  We’ve spent a lot of time in unit 8 but not much in 7e.  From what I can tell the elk are pretty sparse in the 7e peaks hunt but I’m hoping with the rut we can at least get into some.  We will be spending several weekends setting up cameras and getting to know the unit better.  Anyone have any advice for how to hunt that unit beside hike a lot and get in shape!

Hunt hard. If it is warm still you have a shot at catching bugles. 

Hit some bugles super early to see if you can catch some replies and get an area to strike off into before first light.

• Like 1

Was it a third choice or something?  Why not stick to unit 8? The only elk I have ever killed have been otc hunts and i wouldnt even apply for that hunt. 

That hunt is not even close to draw-able as a third choice. Probably takes 5-6 pts to hit the bonus pass on the bull hunts.

The elk will be high. The bugling will probably be spotty, but there are elk there. You will Have to earn it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Was it a third choice or something?  Why not stick to unit 8? The only elk I have ever killed have been otc hunts and i wouldnt even apply for that hunt. 

It was my sons first choice.  Units 8 and 9 late rifle were second and third.  He didn’t want to sit out another year.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

That hunt is not even close to draw-able as a third choice. Probably takes 5-6 pts to hit the bonus pass on the bull hunts.

The elk will be high. The bugling will probably be spotty, but there are elk there. You will Have to earn it.

It was his 1st choice with 4 points.  He knows it won’t be easy but he is up for the challenge.  This is actually the only bull hunt that lined up with his fall break as well.  The other hunts he put in for were late rifle.

i had the archery hunt last year and they didn't bugle much, they were just about treeline, we hear a bugle we chase and they got quiet about 6:30-7 and it was a deer hunt trying to find them up on top, we probably hiked 70 miles in five days. you need to be in good shape, i started getting familiar with the terrain in july and i hiked about 300 miles in 3 months.

it is a tough hunt we didn't taged out but had a couple of chances. 

1 hour ago, maximus said:

i had the archery hunt last year and they didn't bugle much, they were just about treeline, we hear a bugle we chase and they got quiet about 6:30-7 and it was a deer hunt trying to find them up on top, we probably hiked 70 miles in five days. you need to be in good shape, i started getting familiar with the terrain in july and i hiked about 300 miles in 3 months.

Can’t you hunt all of 7e with the archery tag or is there a LE archery hunt?  

Cant run trail cameras in a wilderness area. The elk are there just gotta hunt hard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maximus said:

Thanks, I was planning on a lot of hiking.  Archery in that unit would be pretty tough if they aren’t rutting hard.  Next time!  As long as we get to chase a few that will be good enough.  Bagging one would just be an added bonus.  There are 30 rifle tags the week before his hunt so hopefully they won’t be hunted too hard. 

3 hours ago, oz31p said:

If your in good shape that’s a good hunt. They will def be vocal 

Well, my son is in good shape.  I’ll be in decent shape but at that elevation I’m sure I’ll be huffing and puffing.  Are they pretty spread out or will there be decent sized herds of cows?

16 hours ago, Explorer said:

Cant run trail cameras in a wilderness area. The elk are there just gotta hunt hard.

saw a few cameras during my hunt last year near high tank.