Sign in to follow this  
Thanson

7E Kachina Peaks October Hunt

9 hours ago, maximus said:

do you have a cow tag or bull tag?

It is a bull hunt.  I just checked and there are 30 cow tags the same week as well as 30 the week before.  Is 60 hunters a lot for that small of an area?  I didn’t see the concurrent cow hunts because none of the other units do that. Now I know.

Edited by Thanson

I had the early archery hunt last September in 7E.  Was definitely tough but fun, I did a little hunting in the peaks area where's there's tons of sign but could be hard to navigate cause of blow downs and the thickness.  We got into some elk up there but basically just saw flashes of them running away through the trees, as it's pretty difficult to be stealthy walking through there without knowing exactly where their at.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:28 AM, G_E_E said:

I had the early archery hunt last September in 7E.  Was definitely tough but fun, I did a little hunting in the peaks area where's there's tons of sign but could be hard to navigate cause of blow downs and the thickness.  We got into some elk up there but basically just saw flashes of them running away through the trees, as it's pretty difficult to be stealthy walking through there without knowing exactly where their at.

Yeah, I know it will be tough but just getting out is half the fun.  Since we are limited to just the peaks I’m hoping we can find where a few hang out in 7 days.  I know the numbers are low because game and fish doesn’t want the elk in that area.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, CouesFanatic said:

Watch the Randy Newberg video on youtube in there. That should give you a good idea of how that hunt is.

That was one of the first things I watched after my son got drawn for this hunt.  I’ll be hunting Coues in December with my 10 year old so it should be a fun season whether we get anything or not.