Sign in to follow this  
muledeer#1

Strip tag

Or she will hate hunting forever. Congrats on the tag but dont push her too hard dad. As long as she's happy let her squeeze that trigger.  And good luck!

• Like 7

10 is a tough age to start on a primo tag.  Hate to say it. 

Taylor had a 12AE tag when she was 13, and even then, it was tough. We saw plenty of deer, and some real toads even.  But getting in a good position, with a good rest, and cooperation from the bucks was very difficult.  Had some opportunities, but nothing we could actually call a legitimate realistic chance.  Thought we had it in the bag a few times, but one little thing would mess it up.  The buck played cat and mouse, behind a tree, would not stop, turned the wrong way, doe in front or behind, never stopped walking, stopped facing away, etc.  After 9 grueling days, she was spent.  No buck in the truck, but lots of lessons learned.  It was not the distance of the shots, but the conditions.  

Get her out NOW, and start practicing in all positions, off a stump, off a bag, prone, sitting, kneeling, tripod, bipod, pra rice setting up quickly, practice turning turrets, practice follow up shots, etc. 

Shoot a comfortable rifle.  Work up a great load.  And get her shooting farther than you will actually let her take a shot on real game.  We practiced out to 1000 routinely.  But shooting at a stationary target is only half the battle.  Getting a buck to stop in a good position at a reasonable distance and getting in a stable position quickly is the other half.

Then again, you might get super lucky and glass up a bedded road at 200 yards where he doesn't even see you.

Play games in the field.  We played a lot of "hot lava", where the ground is off limits.  Rocks, logs, etc.  Also helps with the noise of walking.  Stop to look at sign and teach her.  Look at the squirrels.  Looks at the birds.  Find some sheds.  Take a nap on a ridge.  Bring tons of junk food and snacks.  Let them nap in the truck.  Teach them about nature and geology and the game animals.  

Be patient.  

Most of all, let THEM choose what to shoot.  I learned this the hard way.  Put MY expectations on Taylor.  We could have shot 100 different bucks, but I, ME, wanted a big boy.  Talked he or out of 20 bucks that were 3.5 year old 4x4s or better.  Talk about frustrating to both myself, my ego, my patience, and most of all, to Taylor.  

The following year, Taylor killed a great first buck.  And I was not real thrilled with her choice at first to take him.  Again, visions of grandeur.   But she was thrilled, and the buck ended up being bigger than I thought.  171".

This year, she is down with the quest for a biggun'.   But I will let her decide when to pull the trigger without a comment.

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Taylor had a 12AE tag when she was 13, and even then, it was tough. We saw plenty of deer, and some real toads even.  But getting in a good position, with a good rest, and cooperation from the bucks was very difficult.  Had some opportunities, but nothing we could actually call a legitimate realistic chance.  Thought we had it in the bag a few times, but one little thing would mess it up.  The buck played cat and mouse, behind a tree, would not stop, turned the wrong way, doe in front or behind, never stopped walking, stopped facing away, etc.  After 9 grueling days, she was spent.  No buck in the truck, but lots of lessons learned.  It was not the distance of the shots, but the conditions.  

Get her out NOW, and start practicing in all positions, off a stump, off a bag, prone, sitting, kneeling, tripod, bipod, pra rice setting up quickly, practice turning turrets, practice follow up shots, etc. 

Shoot a comfortable rifle.  Work up a great load.  And get her shooting farther than you will actually let her take a shot on real game.  We practiced out to 1000 routinely.  But shooting at a stationary target is only half the battle.  Getting a buck to stop in a good position at a reasonable distance and getting in a stable position quickly is the other half.

Then again, you might get super lucky and glass up a bedded road at 200 yards where he doesn't even see you.

Play games in the field.  We played a lot of "hot lava", where the ground is off limits.  Rocks, logs, etc.  Also helps with the noise of walking.  Stop to look at sign and teach her.  Look at the squirrels.  Looks at the birds.  Find some sheds.  Take a nap on a ridge.  Bring tons of junk food and snacks.  Let them nap in the truck.  Teach them about nature and geology and the game animals.  

Be patient.  

Most of all, let THEM choose what to shoot.  I learned this the hard way.  Put MY expectations on Taylor.  We could have shot 100 different bucks, but I, ME, wanted a big boy.  Talked he or out of 20 bucks that were 3.5 year old 4x4s or better.  Talk about frustrating to both myself, my ego, my patience, and most of all, to Taylor.  

The following year, Taylor killed a great first buck.  And I was not real thrilled with her choice at first to take him.  Again, visions of grandeur.   But she was thrilled, and the buck ended up being bigger than I thought.  171".

This year, she is down with the quest for a biggun'.   But I will let her decide when to pull the trigger without a comment.

Great post lance! 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Be patient.  

Great post and applicable to all hunters, honestly dependent on their skill level...

Kudos Lance...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Be patient.  

Can you teach me that “without a comment” part???

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

Can you teach me that “without a comment” part???

No comment....

• Like 4

On 7/8/2019 at 7:15 PM, lancetkenyon said:

Be patient.  

Very sound advice.

Take a trip up there and scout it.  I've hunted 13A twice.  Camp spots are not over easy to find if you are picky like me.  Also, bring lots of water and more than one apare tire.  If you have 13A, the road in there can really suck.  Washboard city.  I drive a 3/4 with solid axle...talk about a bumpy ride.

Most important thing is have fun. 

18 hours ago, muledeer#1 said:

One of The bucks we were after .

That's not a deer, that's a shrubbery!  

banger buck for sure!

• Like 1