I lucked out and drew the late December tag in 31 as a non resident. I have yet to break the news to the family and girlfriend that I’ll be spending my Christmas in the desert of Arizona chasing Coues haha. Im really looking forward to it though and I’m trying to get some general info on the unit. A few questions I have are - Is there good deer distribution throughout the unit, or are they more concentrated in certain areas? It sounds like it has some really rugged country. Would it be advantageous to do a backpack hunt, or can a guy have a good hunt just hiking from the truck each day? I know Flatline Maps doesn’t have a map for 31, any suggestions on a company that makes a good map of the unit? 

My best friend drew the late tag in 32, so it would be really cool to camp with him if there’s a place that would put us in close proximity to good hunting in both units. Does anyone know if there is such a place? Camping with him isn’t as big of a priority as having a good hunt. 

I live in Montana and would be more than happy to exchange info on hunting up here if someone wants to PM me. 

You are always better off planning for a backpack hunt even a single overnight, IMHO.  Allows you to reach open country and glass at the right time.   Really depends on weather for the Dec. hunts  though.  Bucks could be moving throughout the day if the rut is in full swing ( have seen this more so in Jan.).  However,  I hunted another unit couple years ago and the timing could not have been better.   It was literally one of those occasions where you say to yourself- man that looks like a place a buck should be and it was.  What an experience. I was running late that morning and pissed at myself for not being where i wanted to be but i saw more bucks and deer that day then ive seen in two seasons of hunting and I only hunted 3 hours.

If your flexible on dates follow the weather- hope for some snowfall and cold weather.  

• Like 1

bigsky2,

Did you get someone to help out or places to go?

Since you and 149 other people drew my tag (lol), I can help you out.

Jeff

Here is a couple bucks we took last year in 31.

My sister-in-law on the first hunt and my daughter on the late hunt (same tag as you bigsky2).

Both bucks scored over 100" which was super cool as I haven't killed a WT over 100"

in 12 years of hunting them and both of these ladies did it on their first deer!

Jeff

IMG_20181026_090419196.jpg

Whittney's 105.jpg

IMG_20181228_135833343~2.jpg

IMG_20181228_140012083~2.jpg

• Like 6

On 7/6/2019 at 9:58 PM, bigsky2 said:

I lucked out and drew the late December tag in 31 as a non resident. I have yet to break the news to the family and girlfriend that I’ll be spending my Christmas in the desert of Arizona chasing Coues haha. Im really looking forward to it though and I’m trying to get some general info on the unit. A few questions I have are - Is there good deer distribution throughout the unit, or are they more concentrated in certain areas? It sounds like it has some really rugged country. Would it be advantageous to do a backpack hunt, or can a guy have a good hunt just hiking from the truck each day? I know Flatline Maps doesn’t have a map for 31, any suggestions on a company that makes a good map of the unit? 

My best friend drew the late tag in 32, so it would be really cool to camp with him if there’s a place that would put us in close proximity to good hunting in both units. Does anyone know if there is such a place? Camping with him isn’t as big of a priority as having a good hunt. 

I live in Montana and would be more than happy to exchange info on hunting up here if someone wants to PM me. 

To answer some of your questions:

I would say 31 has a good/wide distribution of WT.  The WT range from the desert floor all the way to the peak of Mt. Graham and everywhere in between. They are not in pockets but like I said they are really low in the mesquite/prickly pear/ocotillo country all the way to the ponderosa/spruce/fir.

You can camp by your buddy in 32, you'll just have to be in the Bonita/Klondyke area to be close to each other and each others' units.  I would just use google earth or buy a Coronado National Forest map.

I have done a couple solo backpack hunts and lots of hunting from the truck.  I have had success with both but I have never had a problem getting away from hunters in this unit and often find myself in canyons all alone (as far as I know LOL).

We did have a good fire a couple summers ago that has changed a few of the canyons access (harder to get into) but like any fire it has only benefited the habitat.  Our winter moisture was great and even through the spring was nice but it is pretty dry now.  Our monsoon rain, IMO, has been a less than average on the mountain but hopefully that will pick up.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Well I don't want to be one of those guys that asks for info and then you never hear from them again. Thanks to all of you who offered up some advice. I had a great hunt and can't wait to go back. 

DSC06739_2.jpg

DSC06614_2.jpg

DSC06734_2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Great Buck! 2