Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

San Diego, The rest of the story

Congrats man!  Sounds like you guys had some good action.  Glad you got into them.

• Like 1

I grilled some yellow fin teriyaki steaks  last night, making room in the freezer  for my Labor Day run to La Paz .  I'm  starting to twitch, I need to get on the water.

• Like 3

Awesome, headed to the Key's for a week in November, can't wait

7 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

How many did you guys catch individually? 

Well the sad story is there were maybe four experienced guys with a setup able to cast 125' to 150' into each of the 50 or more boils we came on. The mates had the right gear so you had to nudge your way to jockey position on the bow. Fish would sound deep after a few casts so you had to make the first cast count. Stick baits were what the wanted and a cast beyon the school or in the middle of it or just on the edge would be a 90% hookup. This was something new for my son and I and on a scale of 10 I told the one captain it was a 15. I would have been happy with one fish.

I caught two of my five myself. The rest were hookups by the mates who then handed off to anyone who was ready. They had both the knowledge and gear to do so and then stayed with the person they handed off to to coach and finally gaff them. I rented two 30# and two 50# rods with Avet reels but since they were lever drags and didn't have what I was used to (a brake system) I struggled to get more than a 50' cast without a birdnest. I used them for a couple of hours the first day then they spend the rest of the time in the rack. Action was very fast and furious so no time to deal with a birdnest. MY son decided to buy a rod and reel when we got  there so with that  we were able to catch a few on our own using a 100gram butterfly jig. The fish were feeding on pinky sizes anchovies and wanted nothing to do with live bait except the two 60-80# bluefin caught after dark down deep after a long soak.

I chose to have them "process" them and put them in vacuum bags. I have maybe 30 pounds of fish in 5 bags of each 4 pounds and 3 bags of collars but I will repack them into something more manageable. It appears all of the other boats in the general vincinity caught single digits each day. We really  did well and if we were all as competent as the mates I believe could have caught over 200 fish. Food was good and everyone go along jut fine. I think everyone left their ego at the dock.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

How was the bait? 

Bait was the usual sardines. We fly lined a bunch of them and used sinkers to get them down but these schools wanted nothing to do with bait. We caught two blue sharks on bait after dark and the two biggest BF were caught on sardines after dark.