Hoss50

Left Hand 22LR?

What is out there for decent 22lr in left hand? It appears CZ used to make one, but stopped last year. That would have been my preference, but I am a year to late. I don't need a chipmunk style though as my son is a giant for a 7 year old. Who makes a decent left hand bolt action 22LR with iron sights?

Anschutz.  They're more expensive, but make a much better rifle for a factory.

I guess they don't offer one in a left hand with iron sights.  I bought one ten years ago and it has iron sights.  It is the 1417L I believe.  You may be able to find one on gunbroker or talk to Anschutz about making one.  That's what I'd do.  Don't get him a CZ or the like.  It could be one he has for the rest of his life.  

I’m a lefty and in my late sixties and have never owned a left handed gun of any kind I’ve always shot right hand guns not much adapting to do to use a bolt action. Plus when you want to sell it later you won’t be pandering to a small crowd 

5 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

I’m a lefty and in my late sixties and have never owned a left handed gun of any kind I’ve always shot right hand guns not much adapting to do to use a bolt action. Plus when you want to sell it later you won’t be pandering to a small crowd 

Very true!  I'm naturally right handed.  I have a vision problem with my right eye or I would shoot right handed.  I don't know why anyone would shoot left handed unless there's a vision problem.  I shot right handed guns until my first centerfire when I was 12.  My dad bought it for me because he was kind of a perfectionist and everything was about proper form and technique and I think it bugged him to watch me cycle a Bolt on the wrong side.  I've found that shooting off of a bench as a lefty with a right hand Bolt feels pretty good.  I have his guns now and all of them are right handed, but everything I buy now will be left handed.  There are fewer options like you said, so it's a matter of hunting down what you want and that takes a bit of time.  You can still find pretty much everything you're looking for, but you won't find anything on the shelves.  I've also found that I might have to special order what I want.

Hoss,

another option for rimfires would be Cooper.  They take a long time depending on the finish you want.  I ordered a LH 22 magnum 16 months ago and it's due in this month.  It has high grade wood and metal finishing and that's why it took so long, so if you talk to them about a composite stock with iron sights and maybe Ceracote finish, they should be able to help you out.  

I'm a righty but left eye dominant.  I own 3 left handed bolt guns and love them.  That being said I shot a lot of right handed guns through the years and didn't really feel handicapped by them.  Having a left hand rifle is a luxury but not really a necessity. I will choose an accurate right handed rifle over an average left handed any time.  Sorry no experience with rimfire bolt rifles.

My son is right handed, but left eye dominant. To top that off he can't wink his eyes independently, and the only eye he can keep open at all independently is his left eye which is why I am approaching teaching him left handed.

He is learning to shoot left handed with some of my right hand equipment, but I want to train him with lefty stuff if that is what he will be shooting in life. To top that off his 4 year old brother seems to be headed down the same path. Right handed and left eye dominant with the winking problem. I blame my wife...she and her mother are both the same way as my kids. I don't own many smaller caliber rifles that are more youth friendly so investing in a 22LR and a hunting rifle in a low recoil 6.5 - 7mm flavor isn't a bad investment if I invest in stuff that will last them a lifetime.

Give Marc R. at Healy Arms a call and tell him what you're looking for.  He's helped me on a number of leftys over the past 8 or so years.  You will have to be patient.  It might take a few days for him to search his venders and get back to you.  It's likely something is out there new and sitting in a warehouse that hasn't been sought after and that kind of info is only available to guys like him.

If you decide to go with Cooper, I had good luck with two that I ordered from First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD.  There are other Cooper dealers closer but I found out from either a phone call or visit to their store that they didn't take me seriously.  I called Cooper and asked who they recommend and wasn't disappointed.  Let that be a lesson going forward looking for leftys, It's always a good idea to talk to the manufacturer and find out who does a good job selling their product.

If he is right handed and left eye dominant, put a pair of glasses on him with the left eye taped up.