Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

BTX Tripod/Head

Bit the bullet a couple weeks ago and bought a BTX with 85mm objective. i always run a Manfrotto 700RC2 head on a carbon fiber tripod but it seems like it is not quite enough. What are ya'll running with the BTX? i have a big, heavy tripod with a Manfrotto 128RC that seems to wok pretty well but it is a bear to pack. I am also guessing that a glassing stool/chair is pretty much a must, which will take a lot to get used to. I've tried several times to use a stool and can't get used to it. I feel a lot more sturdy sitting on the ground. 

No way man. I wouldn't put anyone up against you glassing even with top secret government heat sensing optics. You do need to talk him into buying my Zeiss 15's though. 

I will almost be willing to help pay for the zeiss' glass just to help him get out of those horrid kaibabs!      And thanks for kind words, but generally I'm just really lucky. 

First off I found that I really hated to pack a BTX and a chair. So it stayed close to the truck or SxS because I couldn't glass without a chair.  Which was different for me also, I usually sit on the ground.  I use a 701 head on a manfrotto tripod that works well but it is heavy for sure. But since I don't take it far from the vehicle it wasn't that big of a deal.  I also do not own one, just have used ones from friends. 

I use a 701rc2, it’s the big brother to the 700. I use for my 7lb dual spotters and it’s great. Not made anymore but can find on eBay. 

AFC2C14D-FAC1-43A2-B5B8-3EE675B33ACA.thumb.jpeg.993bfb9ad487e94e4c00ab1b58f2e8b8.jpegI just bought the btx with the 65mm objective. Seems like a better hunting setup. So far I love it. Haven’t had i in the field yet but I have a heavy duty velbon that works great and a Manfrotto 190 with fluid head that seems to handle it just fine. Really looking forward to hitting the hills with it.

My boss says the same, have to sit in a chair to use the BTX's comfortably.  He uses the Helonix Zero I think.  It weighs about a pound and gets you off the ground enough.  Not sure of the tripod set up.  Maybe a trade off with a lightweight chair will allow for a sturdy tripod?

Jeff

9 hours ago, coues32 said:

Used promaster SPCH20 head with btx 85mm worked great, lightweight 

I use the same head and like it alot.

I ended up going with a manfrotto mhxpro 2 way. Has a fluid adjustment which is nice for balancing the back heavy btx, isn’t overly heavy and uses standard manfrotto plates which is a plus because i have about a dozen of them. 

On 7/12/2019 at 10:33 PM, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I saw this at the manufacturer this week amd was very impressed if you want a cheap head. 😄

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories/products/outdoorsmans-fluid-head

Thats just nuts! The only ones I’ve seen so far are probably the guys that were given them to try out.

• Like 1