For those paying attention we recognized this trend a few years ago.  I'm actually surprised we have leftover tags at all!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

Hey desertmafia21, what do those numbers represent?   Curious.....

The exact number of general (Rifle) leftover tags. I found the numbers from 2017 and 2018 on an older post

Ah, duh.....     Of course.  Guess I could have figured that based on the thread topic/title.    Definitely a downward trend. ;)

Does anyone know the number of total tags given out over the last 5 years or so and if that number has seen any change? It has grown dramatically over the last 10 years or so when G&F added 2nd, 3rd and 4th hunts in some units, but not sure about trends in last 5.   It would appear that Az is managing to smaller herd sizes in everything for certain.  

I wonder how they are gonna process the leftovers next year.. are they gonna have paper apps just for leftovers or have a different system all together. And if they stay with paper how hard are the darn things gonna be to find at stores and so on..

2 minutes ago, Explorer said:

I wonder how they are gonna process the leftovers next year.. are they gonna have paper apps just for leftovers or have a different system all together. And if they stay with paper how hard are the darn things gonna be to find at stores and so on..

A process and platform like New Mexico has for their leftovers and youth encouragement tags of the past would be awesome. 

It is happening everywhere and has been for quite some time. When I first started hunting Utah. (back in 2005 and 2006) there was 8-10k leftover archery tags. in less than 15 years that went from no left over tags (around 2011 or 2012) to drawing every year to drawing every 2  or 3 years if you are lucky.  I too am surprised it has taking this long to get rid of all of the tags. I always wonder about the claim of less hunter recruitment but I haven't see in for sure. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jdown said:

Does anyone know the number of total tags given out over the last 5 years or so and if that number has seen any change? It has grown dramatically over the last 10 years or so when G&F added 2nd, 3rd and 4th hunts in some units, but not sure about trends in last 5.   It would appear that Az is managing to smaller herd sizes in everything for certain.  

2009-48535, 2010-48055, 2011-47875, 2012-46973, 2013-46641, 2014-46634, 2015-45822, 2016-46537, 2017-47147, 2018-48135, 2019-46840

These numbers include- General deer, CHAMP, Muzzy, Archery, Junior general and Junior Muzzy.

Thanks! So roughly a 3% type change over the last 10 years.  I would assume total applications are 10 fold to that just based on population growth alone. Its hard for me to believe our deer population is the same today as it was 10 years ago as I would assume harvest rates haven't gone down over that time period either.  I'll stand with my earlier suggestion... limit the tags, make it a 3+ point system to apply and no shooting spikes or rotate units with no spike harvest--anything to be able to actually pass a deer up and not see that deer being packed out later that day.  

Every year people bang their heads on the same rock.  Maybe we should have a password protected section for it.  Here is where you start.  G&F budget goes up every year,  truck prices, gas prices, the AC in carefree.  And more endangered fish, animals, weeds, etc. need money.  

Then G&F sets the draw numbers.  It is pretty easy for them to know how much they will get from the draw.  They will be sold out.  Nice business eh.  😎

1 minute ago, ThomC said:

Every year people bang their heads on the same rock.  Maybe we should have a password protected section for it.  Here is where you start.  G&F budget goes up every year,  truck prices, gas prices, the AC in carefree.  And more endangered fish, animals, weeds, etc. need money.  

Then G&F sets the draw numbers.  It is pretty easy for them to know how much they will get from the draw.  They will be sold out.  Nice business eh.  😎

Did the price of trucks go down thru the years that the tag numbers went down? With your theory tag numbers should have climbed every year but with the above numbers there were numerous years they went down. Tags went down again this year I guess they didn't need any trucks. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThomC said:

🙈🙉🙊😕 Where is that emoji of beating a dead horse.   😭

Here you go.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ThomC said:

🙈🙉🙊😕 Where is that emoji of beating a dead horse.   😭

30352C9C-FCC9-46F6-AA8F-4E9C63543729.png

• Like 1