Sign in to follow this  
swcruiser

30B- Current Access

Guys I got skunked again and putting in for another OTC tag.  Has the access for 30B been constant for the last few years?  any changes/ updates anyone knows about?  I looked over the old posts and G&F.  I plan on hiking in from the East side off the Stronghold rd.

Camp traffic doesn't usually matter too much as I pack in and dont run into many hunters but maybe want to avoid a zoo like atmosphere.

Thanks

nobody with info on road access?  Ill probably make at least one trip out there before the hunt but would love to get info on places to avoid.  In other units Ive hunted roads are good until right before the season then ranchers close it up.  similar issues?

I don't know 30b that well. But, there was a video I think posted here somewhere that game and fish had made about access issues and They had interviewed John Ladd Who owns the ranch along the southern border and another rancher off of Davis road both whom allow access. John Ladd ranch I'm not sure if he has whitetail or not it is between Naco and the San Pedro river.  The San Pedro has whitetail and Muley but is only archery from highway 92 north to Charleston road. North of Charleston road and south of highway 92.  Are open to rifle but not right there at Fairbanks where the ruins are.  There is a road that shoots south off of Davis road and one of the ranch roads does give access to the north end of the mule mountians. You can also access the mules from highway 90 near the tunnel at the top of the hill as well.  Good luck

Nothing has changed much. Lower east and south Dragoon mountains are a little hard to get to unless you know a Rancher that will let you in. Other than that, some extra driving and walking will get you where you want to go. The Mule mountains take a lot of walking as well. Good luck

Thanks guys!  I was planning on accessing from the Easter side of the Dragoons.  I prefer to climb into higher country- usually less traffic.  I just want to make sure any gates/roads open now remain open during the season.  Nothing worse than rolling up all pumped to get into an area you've been dreaming about to find a locked gate!

Middlemarch pass goes through the dragoons from sunsites over and through and comes out north of tombstone right near the border patrol checkpoint.  

Thanks CatfishKev,

I may look into accessing the areas through middlemarch pass.- looks like nice country.   As of now it seems like the are I like has open access from the East end.  

There is a lady out there that bought a big ranch out there that went and locked a bunch of gates that are shown as state trust land in the dragoons last year. I talked to game and fish and they said they are aware of the situation and that it is state trust land and not leased or anything like that. They cut the locks down and she went in and but up new ones. I don't remember the name of the road but it was not far from the town of dragoon

I got the same tag as you never hunted this unit so I was going to start scouting to figure out access points and area 

well shoot.. i hope i don't run into any locked gates that should be open.  I guess i need to make dang sure whats what though and bring a cordless grinder just in case!!!!! I would hate to tear something down that was legally locked!!!  Thanks for the heads up.  

TexasHunter- do you know if that was the Eastern side or Western side of the Dragoons outside the town of Dragoon?

3 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Universal skeleton key

tekton-bolt-cutters-3386-64_1000.jpg

The bigger version is what I call keys to the city. I roll around acting like  Gotham City gave them to me.  

On 8/6/2019 at 10:03 AM, swcruiser said:

well shoot.. i hope i don't run into any locked gates that should be open.  I guess i need to make dang sure whats what though and bring a cordless grinder just in case!!!!! I would hate to tear something down that was legally locked!!!  Thanks for the heads up.  

TexasHunter- do you know if that was the Eastern side or Western side of the Dragoons outside the town of Dragoon?

It was east of the town of dragoon. Where the gate is is mostly mule deer but the road shows to lead you back further into the mountains. You can still get in there just longer route. 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:19 PM, CatfishKev said:

Middlemarch pass goes through the dragoons from sunsites over and through and comes out north of tombstone right near the border patrol checkpoint.  

What sort of condition is the Middlemarch Pass road in? Is that a pretty decent road the whole stretch between Tombstone and Sunsites?