I picked up a new 6.5 PRC and the last 2 boxes of the 143 ELD-X ammo on the way out of Sportsman's.  I see that the 143 is hard to find in stock and I am not a reloader, yet.  I have someone I work with that reloads the 6.5 PRC but he is a busy guy.  My question is do I transition to the 147 Match stuff, or order bulk in the 143, or see about my coworker loading for me or take up reloading in my garage.

If I start reloading, I realize there is little $$$ savings, but more control in what I'm shooting.  I'm hesitant to reload due to the initial cost, but am willing to consider it.  Anyone start reloading and have any opinions?

Thanks for any info.

• Like 1

I ran into a similar problem when I got mine a few months ago. I actually called Hornady to see what was up with them getting more supply pumped out and they said they're running it right now and hope to have it on shelves in the next few months, which is better than nothing. In the meantime you can pick up some ELDX online at Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, Midway, and SWFA. 

As for reloading, I plan to pick up a single stage press in the next few months to get started on working up some of my own loads for the 6.5 as well as a few calibers. I've been buying the individual pieces for a reloading setup over the last couple months so it's not a large one time expense and I can also get the exact individual components I want (scale, hand primer, media tumbler, etc). It might take awhile to offset the cost of buying new ammo everytime but I think I'll enjoy it so to me there's added value in that. Good luck.

The 143 has been very effective for us on deer.  I would stock up on it if the new rifle likes it.

If you shoot less than 100 rounds per year, why reload ? Unless you want another hobby or  you need better accuracy?

Curious to see how the 143 eldx’s shoot for you. I couldn’t get them to group sub 2” for me for first 60 rounds. I switched to the 147 eldm’s and groups shrunk dramatically... .5 if I do my part. I maybe have 150 rounds down the tube so far, maybe now it’ll shoot the 143’s good?

Reloading is NOT cheaper.  

What reloading does is let you tailor a load to YOUR rifle using the highest end components you want. It let's you make consistant loads.  it lets you pick the bullet you want to shoot.  And it is 95% of the time producing more accurate loads.

I agree, if you only shoot 100 rounds a year, not really worth it.  Initial set up costs FAR outweigh returns.

There is not enough difference between the 143 ELD-X and 147 ELD-M to warrant any decision.  See which one shoots better and use it.  Either will kill game the same.

• Like 5

It shoots both the 143 and 147 great. I just received my order of 143s from AmmoSeek and should be good to go for a while. Thanks for the replies!

You'll have to weigh out your options with reloading and decide for yourself because it can be addicting!  I started about 10-11 years ago and never looked back despite if costing more or less, I love it.  I actually think I have a little problem because I have acquired too many bullet and powder combinations to tinker around with finding the "perfect load", LOL.

Jeff

• Like 1

With my dad's 6.5 Creedmoor I bought the 143 ELDX and the 147 Match to see which one was more accurate.  It shot the 147s much more accurately which I am happy about due to the higher BC, less wind drift, and more energy down range.  All of these things are important for me when choosing a bullet to hunt with.

2685 fps 

Factory Hornady 147gr Match

24” barrel

Bergara B-14 HMR

Factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X

2700fps

I went light and fast(er) in my 6.5SLR.  130 OTM @ 2888.  Very similar retained velocity and energy at 900 yards as the 147 ELD-M @ 2685fps.  45" less drop, but 3" more drift in a 10mph 90° full value wind, reduced TOF too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

I went light and fast(er) in my 6.5SLR.  130 OTM @ 2888.  Very similar retained velocity and energy at 900 yards as the 147 ELD-M @ 2685fps.  45" less drop, but 3" more drift in a 10mph 90° full value wind, reduced TOF too.

Yes. I agree. A lot of folks don't realize the 130 VLDs are actually better ballistically at most practical hunting distances due to the velocity advantage with a much better MPBR for quick shots...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

Have you shot any animals with them and if so what was the much meat damage? What ranges?