JonnyBoy-28

Arizona Unit 29 Coues

Hello everyone!! Looking for some information or help on pointing me in area to start. I hunt New Mexico and this is the first year I have ever put in for an out of state tag and got lucky and landed a unit 29 coues tag but for the beginning of November, I'm good with glassing and have hunted them when I was younger in NM unit 26 but its become to hard to hunt that unit do to the private lands that surround BLM. So I been wanting to hunt coues for the last few years so decided to give Arizona a try after saving some money from unsuccessful NM tags I jumped in. Again I'm not looking for an easy hand out just a ball park location to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Overview: Since whitetail populations are well distributed throughout the forest, hunters will be equally successful in just about any location in the unit above 4000′ elevation. General distribution is moderate at elevation 5000′ and up. Since the majority of whitetail habitat is located on lands administered by the US Forest Service, access is very good, especially for hunters willing to strap on a backpack and hunt into the wilderness areas.  For detailed access information, a Coronado National Forest map is invaluable on a hunt. The USFS map of the Chiricahua Mountains, Coronado National Forest is available from US Forest Service Offices. Glassing from high points or stalking brings results for hunters. Most sportsmen use a combination of the two methods. The use of binoculars and/or spotting scopes is highly recommended.

Area: Work the upper reaches of these drainages of the unit. Starting on the west side of the unit, the following road accesses are recommended: Pinery, Pine, Upper West Turkey, Cottonwood, Stanford, Pridham, John Long, Rucker, and Tex Canyons.  There are sign in boxes into Jhus Canyon and John Long Canyon.  Hunters MUST sign in to gain access into the area.  Hunters that do not sign in will be cited for trespassing and future access into these areas may be lost.  On the south: Price, Shake, Jack Wood, and Horseshoe Canyons. East side: Sulphur, Dripping Springs, Fossil, Cave, East Turkey, Silver, East Whitetail, Jhus, Brushy Canyons. Jhus Canyon can now be driven into and PLEASE obey all posted signs. The landowner agreed to allow vehicular access to the forest as long as hunters obey all signs.  On the north: Woods and Emigrant Canyons. I cannot over emphasize the value of the Coronado National Forest map for finding access. Scouting before the season will help greatly.

Access to the west side areas can be gained by using the Willcox exits on I-10 for Highway 186 and then 181. North side locations can be reached by exits at Bowie, San Simon, and Road Forks exits from I-10. Southern portions can be reached on Highway 80, east of Douglas.

I know that is a generic answer but the entire unit is coues deer country. Finding the area you want to hunt is up to you looking at the country and making a decision. Just go park your truck, take a good hike to some good glassing spots and glass. You'll see deer in basically the entire unit doing this. 

Thank you Creed_az_88, all info is great info, and relief to hear that I should be able to just walk and glass and pick them up. Appreciate you!