With the few rains over July I've seen a number of winged walnuts following mom and pop both Gambels and scaled. numbering any where from four to twelve in a group.

On my own property I have four pairs that nested in a mesquite brush pile a couple days ago they all rolled out, numbering fortytwo little ones. Don't know who belonged to who but it was quite a site!!

These were all Gambels, Scaled so far I've seen two bunches numbering eight to ten on the far end of my property. Still seeing pairs running around undecided,So maybe just a little to early to tell what the upcoming season will be like but it's sure looking better than last year!!!!!

• Like 2

I've been watching lots quail "families" over the last couple of months. Definitely way more than last year.  I'm in the far southeast valley in farm areas, might be different elsewhere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Why?

Cause he was about to be disked up. So we grabbed him and put him around a group of them so he would have a chance.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, creed said:

Lots of adults on my place but the freakin roadrunners are wiping out the little guys.

Yeah,  those roadrunners are a very efficient baby quail predator. 

I have seen baby quail of all ages here. Back in May we found some winged walnuts running around, then earlier this week we found some couple day old chicks running around. Should be a good season. 

Mearns season may be a little different. The lack or delay of monsoon season is going to affect their hatch. Hopefully the monsoons start up soon. 

Seems like it's pretty much easy to tell about the Gambels.  Good winter/spring rain = good bird hunting in the fall. 

For Mearns, thinking it could be tough since I think they depend much more on the summer rains.  Fingers crossed on that.....

S.

34 minutes ago, stanley said:

Seems like it's pretty much easy to tell about the Gambels.  Good winter/spring rain = good bird hunting in the fall. 

For Mearns, thinking it could be tough since I think they depend much more on the summer rains.  Fingers crossed on that.....

S.

Summer rains have a lot to do With mearns. 

I have a very effective way of dealing with road runners on my property, I've been using a large falcon trap baited with a mouse tied to the trapdoor release. set it up and wait a couple hours,

Roadrunners are very territorial and cover a lot of ground on a patrol, take R.R and cage to work and release about ten miles away. Has sure thinned them down in my area.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, creed said:

Lots of adults on my place but the freakin roadrunners are wiping out the little guys.

The roadrunners clean out the wash by my house a lot too. They are amazing efficient predators.