sjvcon

UHD Razors

How good are they?  Compared to Swaros?  Meoptas?

I have 18x56Razor UHD and gonna compare to 15x56 Euro/Meopta HD and Swaro 15x56 HD this weekend.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hoghntr said:

I have 18x56Razor UHD and gonna compare to 15x56 Euro/Meopta HD and Swaro 15x56 HD this weekend.

Let me know what you think.  Probably buying 15s this year, but thought about the 12s too (UHDs or others)...just can't drop EL money...too much for a non-pro to spend.

• Like 2

Comparing 18s to 15s is not apples to apples.  To bad they’re not all 15s.    The 18s will not be as bright or clear.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grey curse said:

Comparing 18s to 15s is not apples to apples.  To bad they’re not all 15s.    The 18s will not be as bright or clear.  

Yes that is true. I mostly wanna see if when they went the extra magnification if they sacrificed anything. I can already say the 10's or 12's would be amazing! I can tell you this, I have never held a more ergonomic pair of binocs EVER but then again you dont walk around holding 18's. 

6 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Isn’t the FOV extra tiny on those 18’s?  

Guaranteed to be smaller. I have some 20x80's and FOV is probably 60% of 15's. Very noticeable.

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

Isn’t the FOV extra tiny on those 18’s?  

That's what I've heard

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

That's what I've heard

Steiner 20x80's have a FOV of 174' at 1000 yards, aprox 25% less than 15's.  87' @ 500 yards

The 18's have a FOV of 194 feet at 1000 yards. 97' @ 500 yards.

The Swarovski 15's are 234' @ 1000 yards. 117' @ 500 yards.

The 12x50 El's are 300' @ 1000 yards. 150' @ 500 yards.

How much magnification you need is a personal choice.

• Like 3

I looked through 3 pairs side by side (all 12x50), the Razors, UHD Razors, and Swaro EL.

UHD razors are definitely a strong improvement from the Razors optically, with a significant size increase and slight weight increase as the only drawbacks.

The UHDs surprised me with how close the were to the ELs, then it became obvious that the ELs were brighter without a doubt. But when you compare the price tags, Vortex is almost a grand cheaper than the ELs (depending where you look). I like the way Vortex is going optically, just wish they would've done a 15x but i understand that at those prices, most guys would just go with Swaro, Lieca, or Ziess.

• Like 1

Clearly I don't know all the proper glass language so try and interpret.

I am with PatrickJr I wish they had done 15x!

The 18x56 are still great glass if you want that little extra strength. Imho if 99% of your glassing is also when it is not almost dark and you want extra power then this is a great glass for you.

So razor uhd 18x56, Cabela's Euro HD 15x56, Swarovski 15x56. What did this test do for me? It cost me a set of Swarovski HD! 😂 

Last 45 minutes of day in black volcano rock area

Probably what we all expected, they should have done 15x but if you want a pair of 18's they are nice. The edge of glass is as nice as center but in low light they are not nearly as crisp as swaro hd and little less then Euros but remember they are 18 power so I suspected that would be the case. They are Less wonky around edge then Meopta and that is with me loving my Euro/Meopta. When it is more light out the UHD 18's are easier to love. As it got darker I fell in love with Swaros. 

For me i would rather see more clear, crisp and brighter at less magnification ALWAYS. But this extra 3x might be perfect for more than a few hunters especially at the price. 

Uhd 18x56 come with chest harness carrying case and maybe rangefinder case I guess is what it is? They feel better in your hand then any optic I have ever held. 

$1699 retail price tag in most places on the UHD 18x56 Razor. Euros currently $1399 I believe. Swaros are still considerably more $ even when used. I did not have any non HD swaro with but i have owned a dozen and the differences would have been way less easy to notice. I will be selling my Euros and 18x56 UHD cuz I fell in love with buddy's Swaro HD 15x56. Dang it! 

While I own them anyone is welcome to check them out in N Phx.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, hoghntr said:

Clearly I don't know all the proper glass language so try and interpret.

I am with PatrickJr I wish they had done 15x!

The 18x56 are still great glass if you want that little extra strength. Imho if 99% of your glassing is also when it is not almost dark and you want extra power then this is a great glass for you.

So razor uhd 18x56, Cabela's Euro HD 15x56, Swarovski 15x56. What did this test do for me? It cost me a set of Swarovski HD! 😂 

Last 45 minutes of day in black volcano rock area

Probably what we all expected, they should have done 15x but if you want a pair of 18's they are nice. The edge of glass is as nice as center but in low light they are not nearly as crisp as swaro hd and little less then Euros but remember they are 18 power so I suspected that would be the case. They are Less wonky around edge then Meopta and that is with me loving my Euro/Meopta. When it is more light out the UHD 18's are easier to love. As it got darker I fell in love with Swaros. 

For me i would rather see more clear, crisp and brighter at less magnification ALWAYS. But this extra 3x might be perfect for more than a few hunters especially at the price. 

Uhd 18x56 come with chest harness carrying case and maybe rangefinder case I guess is what it is? They feel better in your hand then any optic I have ever held. 

$1699 retail price tag in most places on the UHD 18x56 Razor. Euros currently $1399 I believe. Swaros are still considerably more $ even when used. I did not have any non HD swaro with but i have owned a dozen and the differences would have been way less easy to notice. I will be selling my Euros and 18x56 UHD cuz I fell in love with buddy's Swaro HD 15x56. Dang it! 

While I own them anyone is welcome to check them out in N Phx.

Thank you for your review!  I appreciate the honest feedback.  I just recieved a piar of the 18x56 UHD Razors and will be comparing them vs the 12x50 Razors and my friends Swaro 15s.  Its nice that Vortex is offering even better glass now, just kinda wish they were 15s because I already have a spotting scope.  But who knows, I have a feeling that I'm going to really like these.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gaps said:

Thank you for your review!  I appreciate the honest feedback.  I just recieved a piar of the 18x56 UHD Razors and will be comparing them vs the 12x50 Razors and my friends Swaro 15s.  Its nice that Vortex is offering even better glass now, just kinda wish they were 15s because I already have a spotting scope.  But who knows, I have a feeling that I'm going to really like these.  

Just naming them “ultra” HD doesn’t mean they are offering better glass.  Vortex is the ultimate in marketing hype, they truly have it mastered.  Creating a new “level” of HD whether it actually exists or not was the natural next step for them.....  they turn their gigantic tribe of “prostaff” loose on social media and convince the world that “ultra” HD is somehow different and better then HD and they won.   #vortexnation????

Gaps I am positive if they were 15's we might be more impressed. I gave the same feedback to Vortex. Do not take them and compare to Swarovski HD that is a bad idea. :) stick to non hd swaro and or meopta etc... compare to your other Razors. 👍 but if you take someone's Swaro hd's out you will end up like me, driving home like this.... 😂

20190727_102527.jpg

• Like 4