Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

Early season

Hi guys. For the last five years or so I have always hunted the late November early December hunt. However, this year d/t other obligations I put in and drew the oct hunt. Any advise on what is different between those times? I know itll be a lot hotter so I'm curious on what I will need to do differently. Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Well if your glassing with a tripod and know how to glass I say just do the same thing.  Yes it will be warmer so they will probably head for shade a little earlier. Scout and pattern your shooter and try and get him opening morning. What unit?

Unit 32. I do glass the majority of the day. Also, I know the unit and where I'll be hunting. I plan on doing what I do ever year and have been successful. I just haven't hunted in Oct and really eager to see how it differs. Thanks guys

54 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

First chance at the deer. Other than that not much different. I’ll take the chance of a cooler late hunt rather than get sunburned.

This. Less pressure and the rut isn't until Christmas. If you come in from Mammoth you will need to sign in and look at past years you will see the early hunt has more success.

Do as much scouting as you can.  If you find some bucks in a area before the season, there's a really good chance they'll be there the first two days of the hunt.  After that the pressure will move them around.

21 hours ago, G_E_E said:

Do as much scouting as you can.  If you find some bucks in a area before the season, there's a really good chance they'll be there the first two days of the hunt.  After that the pressure will move them around.

This is the biggest advantage of the early hunts.