Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Which Tires?

Hey guys I am getting ready to swap out the factory rubber on my F-150.  I have been running Goodyear Silent Armors for as long as I can remember and never cut a tire and got decent life out of them.  Those tires are no longer available so I am looking at other options now.

- Nitto Terra Grappler (Or maybe Ridge Grappler)

- Toyo Open Country AT2

- Goodyear Ultra Terrain (If I can get it in a 33" or larger)

I do a lot of pavement, but come summer and fall my truck will is in 4wd every week. Dont deal with much snow, but plenty of sand.  I do a lot of driving so getting decent mileage out of my tires is as important as solid tires that I dont worry about cutting on rocky conditions.

If anyone has any comments on the above I am all ears.

My first 3 sets of nittos (terra) on my tundra. I got 58k, 55 and 53k miles . after i tweaked my,frame pulling someone out of the mud that has drastically went down hill but ive been very happy with them...my daily commute has more dirt road than asphalt so they hold up well. 

I’d go toyo at’s or nitto ridge grapplers. I am running ridge grapplers on my dodge 2500 now and they seem to be holding up MUCH better than my last set of terra grapplers, and they look a lot better to boot. BFG AT’s are a good option as well

we have the nittos on our 2004hd2500 duramax for 2 years they run great and have plenty of tread left.  I didnt think they would last a year I was pretty impressed. looks like we will get over 50k on them . Hd2500 is a heavy truck and blows through tires fast.

they work fantastic in the nasty mud and rocks in unit 8,

22 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

My first 3 sets of nittos (terra) on my tundra. I got 58k, 55 and 53k miles . after i tweaked my,frame pulling someone out of the mud that has drastically went down hill but ive been very happy with them...my daily commute has more dirt road than asphalt so they hold up well. 

1. I am very jealous of your commute. being able to stop and glass on the way to work is a pretty nice bonus.

2. You are seriously hard on your truck.

At work we have about 150 4x4 vehicles I would guess. 95% of them have BFG's on them.

I got 56k out of a set of Nittos on my diesel, but that was rotating every ~3000.

11 minutes ago, Delw said:

we have the nittos on our 2004hd2500 duramax for 2 years they run great and have plenty of tread left.  I didnt think they would last a year I was pretty impressed. looks like we will get over 50k on them . Hd2500 is a heavy truck and blows through tires fast.

they work fantastic in the nasty mud and rocks in unit 8,

Ridge Grappler or Terra Grappler?

I run GY MTRs on my Bronco, Excursion, and RZR, I love them. 

You wont get a whole lot of mileage out of them though. 

Take a look at Yokohama G3 mud terrains. I have a set on my f350, they ride nice & are quiet for a mud terrain.

BFF all terrains or Hancook dyna pros. I’ve had/have both on 1/2 ton trucks. Average around 50k per set with daily dirt road driving and 4 wheel drive several days a year just coming and leaving home, not counting out in the hills driving.

Whatever you buy, Get them from Discount and buy the road hazard.  I have 127k on my set of 37" BFG MT KM2s I bought in 2007 on my F250 Super Duty diesel.....of course, DTC has paid to replace about 16 of them for me.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

50 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Ridge Grappler or Terra Grappler?

Terra's

a buddy of mine up north talked me into them and a few others.

I had the Toyo's on my FJ and I didn't care for them. Noisy and wore fast. They were all cracked up in less then a year. Had BFG's on my wifes Tacoma and we tore several of the lugs off and they cracked as well. They were not very old either. I like the Duratracs that came on my power wagon. Tested them out a few times and they have held up well.