Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

Where is I?

many more old timers will recognize this than have actually deployed a hook and line or arrow and line here.  maybe acknowledge if you recognize it and give it up if you fished it.  just a thought.

lee 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, biglakejake said:

many more old timers will recognize this than have acturallly deployed a hook and line or arrow and line here.  maybe acknowledge if you recognize it and give it up if you fished it.  just a thought.

after a long life and a horrific, near fatal mold exposure this past winter i find it surprising it is so vivid in this old boys memory.  enjoy.

lee 

How old are you 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swivelhead said:

I believe I recognize this lake, was located on the high end of Ikes backbone?

bingo.  Stehr Lake on Fossil Creek.  doesn't look like that anymore!

lee

5 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

bingo.  Stehr Lake on Fossil Creek.  doesn't look like that anymore!

lee

Is it dried up?

• Official Sponsor
  •  
  • 1,908 posts
  • Interests:My Savior Jesus Christ, my wonderful family and one of God's sweetest creations, Coues deer!

I spent nearly all day on Stehr Lake a couple days ago and my neighbor and I couldn't figure out what the crap the bass were biting on. I did catch 3 on 4" watermelon lizzards but for 5 hours of fishing I considered it slow. My friend didn't catch diddly. Didn't try spinners to much as they tend to get caught up in the cattails. Worms eh? Seems a little like trout fishing to me.

Josh

GRONG-josh epperson

Stehr lake was a reservoir that supplied water to the Childs hydroelectric generator on the river 700' below.  There was a pumphouse on the lake that would lift water via a pipeline over the ridge (Ikes Backbone) down the the power house on the river.  When flow was established the pipeline would siphon water from the lake and the lift pump at the lake was not needed.

About 1972, my brother and I were fishing @ Childs and decided to check out the hydro generator.  We were on the catwalk looking through the screens at the equipment inside when an APS employee showed up to check equipment.  He/we recognized each other (do not remember his name) as we had met while field trialing bird dogs.  We chatted for a moment, he said "you got to see this, anybody in the riverbed below." My brother and I looked and saw no one.  The guy opened the generator bypass shooting and incredible amount of water far out into the riverbed.  The water stream ripped up cottonwoods and created an instant lake in the riverbed.  I don't recall if the bypass valve was a manual or not but it went from being cool to downright scary, the sound was deafening.  I've never expierienced an earthquake but standing on that catwalk, I think I know what it feels like.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

How old are you ***** 83 -next birth day,,,& still able to bring back the good -wild FOOD!    And all my mental & physical functions --  working- good enough, How do I know?           NO PAIN, WITH ALL THE PILLS & INJECTIONS, My (quack) Dr, said that I should still be --- putting the shots on target & the big ones in the boat! I'm Happy- that is the hand that I hold!!!   The SEEKER -said that...

OH, YES--- The Quack said that ---I should not even slow down until about 2040 . Yes, I paid him good- on the spot !

On 7/21/2019 at 11:32 AM, biglakejake said:

sidenote........what world famous never to be lost movie had scenes filmed at childs on the verde?